+ Reply to Thread
    Gort is offline Common

Default Trash for Treasure ruling needed

Can the artifact returned with Trash for Treasure be the one I just sacrificed for it? For example if I just want to trigger a entered graveyard effect

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: Trash for Treasure ruling needed

No. Targets are chosen before costs are paid, so by the time you're choosing what artifact to return, you haven't sacrificed anything yet.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Gort is offline Common

isn't the first part of casting a spell paying the cost? otherwise I could target stuff without having enough mana?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

No, and no.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Twanos is offline Master Mason

The best way I know to describe this without getting knee deep into a rules quagmire...

When you go to cast the spell you select the targets (soft target) to make sure they are legal for the spell you are wanting to use. If they are not you can't cast the spell. If they are legal then you move on to paying the costs and move the spell to the stack. Once the spell is on the stack, the game checks the boardstate for effects that will trigger because of the spell and/or targets. This is where targeted effects will actually catch something happening (hard target).

So in your case you have to soft target the artifact in the grave to make sure it will be legal before the costs have been paid. Once the costs are paid and the spell goes to the stack you can't change targets to the new one you just moved to the grave.
    Past Master, Theodore Roosevelt #322 Green Bay, WI
    Past Master, Des Peres #85 De Pere, WI
    Past High Priest, Warren Chapter #8, Green Bay, WI
    Past Thrice Illustrious Master, Warren Council #13, Green Bay, WI
    Past Commander, Palestine Commandry #20 Green Bay, WI
    Inner Guard, Holy Royal Arch Knight Templar Priests
    Member, Knight York Cross of Honour
    Most Illustrious Grand Master, Grand Council of Royal and Select Masters of Wisconsin
    32º Mason, AASR, Valley of Green Bay, WI