+ Reply to Thread
    Kerdo is offline Common

Default Can I stifle the ability of Painter's Servant?

Can I stifle the ability of Painter's Servant?

Twanos is offline Master Mason

Default Re: Can I stifle the ability of Painter's Servant?

No, you can't.

Painter's Servant isn't an activated or triggered ability therefore stifle doesn't apply.

Painter's is technically a replacement effect, asking the owner to make a choice as it moves from the stack to the battlefield. Once it hits the battlefield the "chosen color" in the ability has been replaced with "red" or "white" etc.
    Past Master, Theodore Roosevelt #322 Green Bay, WI
    Past Master, Des Peres #85 De Pere, WI
    Past High Priest, Warren Chapter #8, Green Bay, WI
    Past Thrice Illustrious Master, Warren Council #13, Green Bay, WI
    Past Commander, Palestine Commandry #20 Green Bay, WI
    Inner Guard, Holy Royal Arch Knight Templar Priests
    Member, Knight York Cross of Honour
    Most Illustrious Grand Master, Grand Council of Royal and Select Masters of Wisconsin
    32º Mason, AASR, Valley of Green Bay, WI

Kenji is offline Scarce

Default Re: Can I stifle the ability of Painter's Servant?

602.1. Activated abilities have a cost and an effect. They are written as "[Cost]: [Effect.] [Activation instructions (if any).]"

603.1. Triggered abilities have a trigger condition and an effect. They are written as "[Trigger condition], [effect]," and begin with the word "when," "whenever," or "at." They can also be expressed as "[When/Whenever/At] [trigger event], [effect]."
    As Twanos pointed out, Painter's Servant doesn't have an activated or triggered ability, so Stifle cannot be used to stop any part of its ability.