+ Reply to Thread
    badhacker is offline Very Common

Default Tutoring a Flip/Transform card

I had a question regarding tutoring for a Flip or Transformation card, where each face is of a different type.

Specifically, I want to use "Enlightened Tutor" (artifact or enchantment tutor) to tutor for "Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant". The top face is a creature but the bottom is an enchantment.

Or use "Zur the Enchanter" (enchantment tutor) to tutor "Soul Seizer" (front face is creature type), which transforms into "Ghastly Haunting" (rear face is enchantment)?

Can I do that?

Jake1991 is offline Scarce

Default Re: Tutoring a Flip/Transform card

Nope, to both. The bottom half of Flip cards and the back face of Double-Faced cards don't exist outside of the battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by Comprehensive Rules
    709.1b The bottom half of a flip card contains an alternative name, text box, type line, power, and
    toughness. These characteristics are used only if the permanent is on the battlefield and only if
    the permanent is flipped.

711.2a In every zone other than the battlefield, and also on the battlefield with its front face up, a
    double-faced card has only the characteristics of the front face.