+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Darth Squirtle
  • 1 Post By Kenji
  • 1 Post By Darth Squirtle

Thread: Spellskite and Exalted

Default Spellskite and Exalted

Can i use spellskite to transfer an opponents exalted bonus to itself?

Kenji is offline Scarce

Default Re: Spellskite and Exalted

No, because the exalted triggered abilities do not target, as noted by the lack of the word "target" in its rules text:

114.9a Just because an object or player is being affected by a spell or ability doesn’t make that
    object or player a target of that spell or ability. Unless that object or player is identified by the word “target” in the text of that spell or ability, or the rule for that keyword ability, it’s not a target.
    702.81a Exalted is a triggered ability. “Exalted” means “Whenever a creature you control attacks
    alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.”
    It's really that simple. Since the exalted triggered ability doesn't use the word "target" in its text, it does not target anything.

Ok sweet that solves that, thanks.

Follow up

Pendelhaven can be used to give a target 1/1 creature +1/+2 until the end of the turn, so because it target's i can transfer it to spellskite. But would the +1/+2 not be applied to spellskite because its not a 1/1?

Kenji is offline Scarce

10/4/2004: The current power/toughness being 1/1 is a targeting requirement so it is checked when announcing and again right before resolving.
    Since Spellskite isn't a legal target for Pendelhaven's ability, the target will remain unchanged:

6/1/2011: You can activate Spellskite's ability even if Spellskite wouldn't be a legal target for the spell or ability. However, the target of that spell or ability will remain unchanged.

But i can make spellskite a valid target by targeting it with diminish?

So opponent targets there own 1/1 with pendelhaven, i activate spellskites ability, then target spellskite with a diminish turning it into a 1/1.

Doing it like that would make spellskite a valid target right?