+ Reply to Thread
    joaomagicpt is offline Very Common

Gear Eye of the Storm vs Decree of SIlence ... Opponent plays an instant/sorcery

HI there!

New here Been playing magic for years but only casually with friends and when it comes to complex rules we still get confused, so here's the one doubt that is on top of my mind right now:

Let's imagine I have Eye of the Storm and Decree of Silence (with no depletion counters) in play under my control

Then an opponent plays an instant or sorcery spell (no matter what). Does that spell get countered through the decree of silence OR does it get removed from the game and enters the "Eye of the Storm list of copies"?! Do I choose which one?!

In my view, both trigger at the same time so I get to chose the most favourable...in this case the opponent's spell would get countered

"Whenever an opponent plays a spell, counter that spell and put a depletion counter on Decree of Silence..."
    vs
    "Whenever a player plays an instant or sorcery card, remove it from the game..."

Thanks in advance, and a hug from Portugal!

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: Eye of the Storm vs Decree of SIlence ... Opponent plays an instant/sorcery

Since you control both, you can choose which order they go on the stack in (and therefore which order they resolve in).

Note, however, that both will resolve and do as much as possible. So even if you exile it with Eye of the Storm, Decree of Silence will still get a counter. And even if Decree counters the spell, they'll still get to cast whatever is already under Eye of the Storm.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Gear Re: Eye of the Storm vs Decree of SIlence ... Opponent plays an instant/sorcery

Quote Originally Posted by Arix View Post
    Since you control both, you can choose which order they go on the stack in (and therefore which order they resolve in).

Note, however, that both will resolve and do as much as possible. So even if you exile it with Eye of the Storm, Decree of Silence will still get a counter. And even if Decree counters the spell, they'll still get to cast whatever is already under Eye of the Storm.

Thanks for your reply, but I didn't understand this part: "So even if you exile it with Eye of the Storm, Decree of Silence will still get a counter" ?!

Can you explain it further or give an example?!

Default Re: Eye of the Storm vs Decree of SIlence ... Opponent plays an instant/sorcery

It means exactly what it said. Even if Eye of the Storm exiles the spell, Decree of Silence still gets a depletion counter.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Gear Re: Eye of the Storm vs Decree of SIlence ... Opponent plays an instant/sorcery

Quote Originally Posted by Arix View Post
    It means exactly what it said. Even if Eye of the Storm exiles the spell, Decree of Silence still gets a depletion counter.
    Alright, thank you. I misread your first response

I have another question, though: Can I choose to play a sorcery card that is in the "list of copies" of Eye of the Storm even when I normally couldn't??

In other words: I have Eye of the Storm in play under my control. I play Lava Spike (sorcery) during my turn. Then I pass. During my opponent's turn I cast a Lightning Bolt (Instant). Can I use the copy of Lava Spike already on Eye of the Storm even though it's my opponent's turn?!

Thanks

Yes. When something instructs you to cast a spell right away, it ignores all timing restrictions based on the card's type. Otherwise, it wouldn't work at all, not even with instants.
    Fluttershy is best pony.