+ Reply to Thread
    MagicMagic is offline Uncommon

Default Scarred Puma with Furor of the Bitten attacking if able

If I control a Scarred Puma enchanted with Furor of the Bitten

I also control a black creature

Can I not attack at all, or am I forced to attack with both creatures?

Jake1991 is offline Scarce

Default Re: Scarred Puma with Furor of the Bitten attacking if able

You can choose not to attack at all.

Scarred Puma needs a black or green attacker for it to attack. If you don't attack with the black creature, Puma can't attack regardless of abilities or effects forcing it to do so, which is why Furor of the Bitten and other similar effects state "if able." The creature is only forced to attack if it's able to.

Swamp is offline Uncommon

what about what Arix said here:
    can't attack block alone ember beast rules magic if able

that you have to declare attackers in a way that does not violate any restrictions/requirements? since you have a choice of declaring both as attackers or none, shouldnt you declare both since that would satisfy the most requirements?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Yup, Jake's actually wrong. Attacking follows basically the same rules as blocking - you have to meet as many requirements as possible while avoiding any restrictions. In this case, attacking with both creatures fulfils the requirement of Puma attacking without violating its restriction, whereas not attacking with anything doesn't violate the restriction, but also doesn't fulfil the requirement. Therefore, attacking with both is your only option.

Where Jake may have got confused is when it comes to costs to attack. If your opponent controls, say, a Norn's Annex, then you're not required to pay the cost for the Puma to attack, even if it's affected by something that says it has to.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Tetris is offline Uncommon

cant you just skip the declare attackers phase so that you don't have to declare any attackers?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

No.
    Fluttershy is best pony.