+ Reply to Thread
    WaxxyOne is offline Very Common

Default Interaction of Hostility and unpreventable damage

The tournament rules state:
    "615.11. Some effects state that damage ďcanít be prevented.Ē If unpreventable damage would be dealt,
    any applicable prevention effects are still applied to it. Those effects wonít prevent any damage, but
    any additional effects they have will take place. Existing damage prevention shields wonít be
    reduced by damage that canít be prevented."

Hostility states:
    "If a spell you control would deal damage to an opponent, prevent that damage. Put a 3/1 red Elemental Shaman creature token with haste onto the battlefield for each 1 damage prevented this way."

So, if I have Hostility in play and cast a spell which deals unpreventable damage to my opponent (e.g. Banefire), what happens? Is the damage simply dealt without Hostility having an effect (since none was actually prevented), or does the damage get dealt and I also get the token creatures as a result? (since Hostility's other effects are still applied)

Crocodile is offline Uncommon

Default Re: Interaction of Hostility and unpreventable damage

You will deal the damage but no tokens will be put into the battlefield

This is because while Hostility's other effects still apply, the effect says "Put a 3/1 red Elemental Shaman creature token with haste onto the battlefield for each 1 damage prevented this way." with emphasis on "prevented this way". Since no damage was prevented, then no tokens get put into play

WaxxyOne is offline Very Common

Default Re: Interaction of Hostility and unpreventable damage

That's what i assumed, but i wasn't sure because of the way the rule was worded. Thanks, that helps!