+ Reply to Thread
    MagicMagic is offline Uncommon

Default can u unsummon elgaud shieldmate when it hits the battlefield before it soulbonds?

can you unsummon elgaud shieldmate as soon as it hits the battlefield before it soul bonds and gets the hexproof?

Kenji is offline Scarce

Default Re: can u unsummon elgaud shieldmate when it hits the battlefield before it soulbonds

Yes, you can, and this is why:

702.93a. Soulbond is a keyword that represents two triggered abilities. “Soulbond” means “When
    this creature enters the battlefield, if you control both this creature and another creature and both
    are unpaired, you may pair this creature with another unpaired creature you control for as long
    as both remain creatures on the battlefield under your control” and “Whenever another creature
    enters the battlefield under your control, if you control both that creature and this one and both
    are unpaired, you may pair that creature with this creature for as long as both remain creatures
    on the battlefield under your control.”
    Since it's a triggered ability that causes Elgaud Shieldmate to become paired via soulbond, you may indeed respond to this ability with Unsummon to successfully return it to its owner's hand before it gains hexproof.

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: can u unsummon elgaud shieldmate when it hits the battlefield before it soulbonds

Note, however, that you'll have to do it before you know whether your opponent is pairing the Shieldmate with anything.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Neil is offline Common

are you sure about that, because like when i play if my friend casts a lightning bolt then first he tells who he is targeting and only then i decide if to use my counterspell or not

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Soulbond is different. Soulbond doesn't target anything. You only choose whether or not to pair the creatures when the ability resolves.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Kenji is offline Scarce

How can you tell if a spell/ability targets? Because it will say that it targets, specifically. Here's an excerpt from the Comprehensive Rules, if you should need it:

114.9a Just because an object or player is being affected by a spell or ability doesn’t make that
    object or player a target of that spell or ability. Unless that object or player is identified by the
    word “target” in the text of that spell or ability, or the rule for that keyword ability, it’s not a
    target.
    If either of the soulbond triggered abilities actually targeted anything, they would use the word "target" in the definition I quoted above. As this is not the case, you can safely and correctly assume that they don't target at all.