+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Warrior
  • 1 Post By Parasol

Thread: Spellskite and targeting rules

Parasol is offline Very Common

Default Spellskite and targeting rules

If i can't target illegal targets with any spell or ability, why im allowed for example to use spellskite ability on a counterspell for example (let's say i just want to lose life). I pay the life and the ability fizzles... so nothing will happens, but again. How can i be allowed to ever target a copunterspell with my spellskite?

Warrior is offline Uncommon

Default Re: Spellskite and targeting rules

You are correct in that you cannot target illegal targets with any spells or abilities

but lets see what happens when you activate Spellskite

It says: "Change a target of target spell or ability to Spellskite"

So the target of Spellskite is a "Target Spell or ability"

When counterspell is cast, it goes to the stack and is considered a spell, so it is a LEGAL target for spellskite. So no problem targeting it.

Next, when the Spellskite ability resolves, it attempts to change the target of counterspell to Spellskite itself. But now this is illegal, so nothing happens and the ability kinda "fizzles" like you say.

To sum it up:
    You activate spellskite with a legal target (counterspell) so the ability goes on the stack
    The ability then resolves, and tries to do something which it cannot do, so it does not do anything.

Parasol is offline Very Common

Thx for the fast and clear answer.

Teddy is offline Uncommon

can spellskite switch spells that target players?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

As long as they can legally target Spellskite, yes. If you hit me with a Lightning Bolt, I can use Spellskite to redirect the Bolt to it, since Spellskite is a legal target for Lightning Bolt. But I can't use it to redirect Lava Spike, since Lava Spike can't target Spellskite normally.
    Fluttershy is best pony.