+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Jules Clairt
  • 1 Post By Arix

Thread: Countering spells that target Illusions.

Default Countering spells that target Illusions.

Hey people, you know Illusions have made a bit of a comeback lately. A question about them comes to mind. Most of them have "When [this card] becomes the target of a spell of ability, sacrifice it".

As far as I can understand by reading all around and the comprehensive rules, when you cast, let's say, Lightning Bolt, targeting an Illusion with this ability, and the Lightning bolt is countered (for example, using Dispel), the Illusion will still be sacrificed, since the targeting occurs when the spell is put into stack. My question is, am I right with this assumption?

And, to embody two questions in one thread, I also have another doubt, that involves countering as well: in order to counter a spell, does it have to be the last played card forcefully? For example, playing a Glory Seeker. M opponent plays Psychic Barrier, which I respond to by using Dispel. Could my opponent play, in the same stack, another Psychic Barrier, targeting Glory Seeker?

If it's not too much trouble, I would deeply appreciate getting these questions answered, with some referrals to comprehensive rules or such, so I can understand better how those situations work (and thus defend my point, 'cause in my MTG community these cases have happened before)

Thank you so much!

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: Countering spells that target Illusions.

1. You are indeed correct in this assumption. As soon as the spell targeting the Illusion finished being cast, the Illusion's ability goes on the stack on top of that spell. At that point, whatever happens to the spell, the Illusion will be sacrificed.

2. A counterspell can target any spell on the stack (provided the counterspell doesn't have any additional restrictions on its use, for example Remove Soul only being able to target creature spells). It doesn't matter where on the stack that spell is.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Thank you so much for that clarification. I thought as much, but I was not sure and needed some more information on those topics. =D

Arix is offline Merrymaker

My pleasure.
    Fluttershy is best pony.