+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Levac8741

Thread: Redirecting a counterspell?

Levac8741 is offline Very Common

Default Redirecting a counterspell?

Hi, Me and my friend are playing a game and I counterspell'ed one of his creatures, and he played a redirect, but since he is redirecting it at me can this work since he does not have a target to counterspell? I know this sounds weird, but this is the best explanation I could come up with. Thanks for your time/help

Default Re: Redirecting a counterspell?

He's aware that the new target must be legal? The target won't be changed if he doesn't assign a legal target, even Redirect itself.

Arix is offline Merrymaker

What he can do is Redirect the counterspell to target Redirect itself. Then, when the counterspell tries to resolve, it sees that its target - Redirect, is illegal, and will therefore be countered.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

kevin is offline Uncommon

If you cast Redirect targeting a spell that targets a spell on the stack (like Cancel does, for example), you can't change that spell's target to itself. You can, however, change that spell's target to Redirect. If you do, that spell will be countered when it tries to resolve because Redirect will have left the stack by then.

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Okay, can you please stop copypasting Gatherer rulings on questions that have already been answered?
    Fluttershy is best pony.