+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenji

Thread: if i am the player who draws first and i draw Chancellor of the Tangle can i reveal?

stu5545 is offline Uncommon

Default if i am the player who draws first and i draw Chancellor of the Tangle can i reveal?

lets say other player goes first and we play it like that i draw 8 cards if i am second since i am gonna draw it anyway? and if the eighth card is Chancellor of the Tangle can i reveal it for bonus

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: if i am the player who draws first and i draw Chancellor of the Tangle can i rev

No. Youre starting hand is the one you keep before anyone takes any other action in the game. Once the first turn has begun, that's it. If you draw the Chancellor later, even as your first draw, you can't reveal it.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

stu5545 is offline Uncommon

Default Re: if i am the player who draws first and i draw Chancellor of the Tangle can i rev

i mean the way me and my friend plays it is that the person who goes second draws 8 cards as his opening hand and then he doesnt draw a card in his first draw step, is that ok?

Kenji is offline Scarce

If you're doing it that way just as a shortcut for casual games, it's fine I suppose.

However, if you're actually treating the 8th card as part of your "opening hand", then you aren't playing correctly. For example, if you were to draw 8 cards at the beginning of the game in a sanctioned tournament match, you would be penalized, since that isn't the correct way to start a game at all.

For clarification -- Chancellor of the Tangle must be in your actual opening hand in order to reveal it and use that ability.

This is how the card works in terms of the official game rules. Obviously, if you wish to play it another way, that's your choice -- just know that if you choose to play it your way, it's not correct.

Here's a quote from the Comprehensive Rules, to make it clear:

103.4. A player who is dissatisfied with his or her initial hand may take a mulligan. First, the starting player declares whether or not he or she will take a mulligan. Then each other player in turn order does the same. Once each player has made a declaration, all players who decided to take mulligans do so at the same time. To take a mulligan, a player shuffles his or her hand back into his or her library, then draws a new hand of one fewer cards than he or she had before. If a player kept his or her hand of cards, those cards become the player's opening hand, and that player may not take any further mulligans. This process is then repeated until no player takes a mulligan. (Note that if a player's hand size reaches zero cards, that player must keep that hand.)
    You'll note that the opening hand is determined well before anyone has a draw step. If you play it as "the player who goes second draws 8 cards, and also skips their first draw step", then you're making up rules that don't exist, and you may as well make up whatever rules you want at that point. =P