+ Reply to Thread
    Fat J Fry is offline Very Common

Default activating a manland during combat phase

If I activate a manland such as celestial collonade during the combat phase and as soon as it resolves immediately declare it as an attacker, does my opponent have the opportunity to tap it with a tumble magnet and remove it from combat?

Warrior is offline Uncommon

Default Re: activating a manland during combat phase

Short answer: You can transform your manland when combat phase begins before Declare Attackers step, but your opponent can use Tumble magnet in same step to prevent it from being declared as an attacker. But if he doesnt and you declare the manland as an attacker, using tumble magnet on it wont remove it from combat.

Long answer:
    If we look at combat, it has 5 steps:

1) Beginning of Combat
    2) Declare Attackers
    3) Declare Blockers
    4) Combat Damage
    5) End of Combat

At the beginning of combat (step #1) you use the ability of Celestial Colonnade to make it into a creature. That way you can attack with it when Declare attackers step (step #2) comes.

However, in that same step, opponent can use tumble magnet to tap it. If he does, when Step #2 comes, your creature will be tapped and no longer a valid choice for attacker

But, your opponent cant say something like "mmm I'm not going to use my tumble magnet yet, I want to see who you declare as attackers and then choose who to tap". Once you are in the declare attackers step and you declare your manland as an attacker, even getting tapped wont remove it from combat.
    Last edited by Warrior; 01-24-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Footprint is offline Uncommon

but wait a second, celestial collonade has vigilence so it wont do any good anyway to tap it with tumble magnet cuz it doesnt need to tap to attack

Warrior is offline Uncommon

You are correct that a creature with vigilance does not tap when attacking. However, it still has to be untapped in order for it to be declared an attacker.