+ Reply to Thread
    Dude is offline Common

Default undermine counterspell rulings cast on spell cannot be countered magic

Can I cast undermine on a spell that cant be countered such as Combust? Will other player still lose 3 life?

zehamberglar is offline Very Common

Default Re: undermine counterspell rulings cast on spell cannot be countered magic

This is a hard ruling. One of two answers:

No. Undermine has to have a target to be cast, and it can't target a spell that can't be countered.

or

Yes, as it doesn't have protection from counters, it just can't be countered. The Undermine targets Combust, they lose 3 life, and combust resolves.

In my personal opinion, I think the fact that it can't be countered removes the ability for undermine to target it as it's not a legal target, but I can't give you a definite answer.

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: undermine counterspell rulings cast on spell cannot be countered magic

Undermine (and any counterspell) can target a spell that can't be countered. It's like targeting an indestructible artifact with Shatter - it's a legal target, it just won't do anything. And yes, the controller of the spell will lose 3 life even though the spell isn't countered.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Dude is offline Common

what happens if I target a urza's rage with dissipate, and when urza's rage resolves its target is not legal so its countered, is it exiled or does it go to graveyard?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Always keep a card's Oracle text in mind. Dissipate says:
    Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, exile it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Minineko is offline Common

Quote Originally Posted by Arix View Post
    Always keep a card's Oracle text in mind. Dissipate says:
    In case you can't put 2 and 2 together, this means you can target Urza's Rage with Dissipate but it be able to counter or exile anything.