+ Reply to Thread
    F16
    F16 is offline Uncommon

Default can't attack block alone ember beast rules magic if able

I control 2x Ember Beast

other player attacks me with Goblin Fire Fiend

am I forced to block it?

the rulings on the goblin says:
    "If Goblin Fire Fiend is attacking, the defending player must assign at least one blocker to it during the declare blockers step if that player controls any creatures that could block Goblin Fire Fiend."

So can I assign one (it says at least one) of the Ember beast to block the goblin, and since he cannot block alone then I am not forced to block it?

or do i HAVE to declare both my beasts as blockers and assign both of them to block the goblin?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: can't attack block alone ember beast rules magic if able

When declaring blockers, if any restrictions are being disobeyed, the block is illegal. Also, if the number of requirements that are being obeyed are fewer than the maximum number possible without disobeying any restrictions, the block is illegal. So, looking at all the options:

1. Blocking with both Beasts. This obeys all requirements (must block the Fiend) without disobeying any restrictions.
    2. Blocking with one Beast. This obeys all requirements, but disobeys a restriction.
    3. Don't block at all. This disobeys the requirement while not disobeying any restrictions.

Taking the above rule into account and looking at the list, you see that option 1 is the only legal choice, so both Beasts have to block.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

F16
    F16 is offline Uncommon

thanks,

would it be the same way for attacking? if a Bloodshed Fever enchanted one of my beasts, would I be forced to attack with both of them every turn?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Yup. Attacking with no Beasts disobeys the requirement, whereas attacking with just one disobeys the restriction.
    Fluttershy is best pony.