+ Reply to Thread
    Karter is offline Common

Default Dragon Whelp activated ability more then 4 times in turn rules question mtg

If I use ability of Dragon Whelp more then 4 times a turn

later in the same turn other player takes control of my dragon whelp (like with mind control or something). he does not use the ability

does he need to sacrifice it? Am thinking yes, since the ability was used more then 4 times regardless of who activated it... but not sure

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: Dragon Whelp activated ability more then 4 times in turn rules question mtg

No, they won't. Dragon Whelp's fourth activation creates a delayed triggered ability as it resolves. Since you controlled the activated ability, that means you control the delayed triggered ability. So the delayed triggered ability triggers, and when it resolves, it tells you to sacrifice it. However, since you no longer control it, you can't sacrifice it.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Karter is offline Common

Default Re: Dragon Whelp activated ability more then 4 times in turn rules question mtg

ok so how about if I activate it 3 or more times, then other player takes control of it and uses the ability - but only once- will he have to sacrifice it?

Yes.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Karter is offline Common

cool tnx, just a cpl more questions:

ok so I use the ability 4 times, so the ability goes on the stack. Then he takes control of it. Then I take control of it back. Do I sacrifice it?

I use the ability 4 times, then do a momentary blink on it. Do I sacrifice it?

I use the ability 3 times, then do a momentary blink on it, then use the ability once more. Do I sacrifice it?

I have two Dragon whelps in play, and I use each one's ability 2 times. Do I sacrifice them?

I have a dragon whelp and other player has his own dragon whelp and we both use the ability 2 times. Do we each have to sacrifice?

I have a skill borrower with dragon whelp on top. I use the ability 2 times, then draw a card to reveal another dragon whelp. I use the ability two more times. Do I sacrifice the skill borrower?

Again with the skill borrower, I use the ability twice then I draw and play the dragon whelp and use the abiility of the dragon whelp itself twice. Do I sac both the whelp and the skill borrower?

Nik
    Nik is offline Scarce

U sure u didn't leave anything out

ok so I use the ability 4 times, so the ability goes on the stack. Then he takes control of it. Then I take control of it back. Do I sacrifice it?
    Yes. As long as you control it when the triggered ability resolves, you sacrifice it.

I use the ability 4 times, then do a momentary blink on it. Do I sacrifice it?

I use the ability 3 times, then do a momentary blink on it, then use the ability once more. Do I sacrifice it?
    No, since it's a different Dragon Whelp untied to the one that's meant to be sacrificed.

I have two Dragon whelps in play, and I use each one's ability 2 times. Do I sacrifice them?

I have a dragon whelp and other player has his own dragon whelp and we both use the ability 2 times. Do we each have to sacrifice?

I have a skill borrower with dragon whelp on top. I use the ability 2 times, then draw a card to reveal another dragon whelp. I use the ability two more times. Do I sacrifice the skill borrower?

Again with the skill borrower, I use the ability twice then I draw and play the dragon whelp and use the abiility of the dragon whelp itself twice. Do I sac both the whelp and the skill borrower?
    No. Each ability tracks the number of times that particular ability has been activated, not how many times other abilities have.
    Fluttershy is best pony.