+ Reply to Thread
    teletel is offline Uncommon

Default mindbreak trap Zendikar and cannot be countered

Mindbreak trap from Zendikar reads:

Mindbreak trap
    2UU

Instant, Trap

If an opponent cast three or more spells this turn, you may pay rather than pay Mindbreak Trap's mana cost.

Exile any number of target spells.

Now for example lets take Akroma, Angel of Fury which has the ability "Akroma, Angel of Fury can’t be countered."

So can I use Mindbreak trap on Akroma angel of fury? On one hand, by exiling Akroma from the stack I am basically countering the Akroma but it has the ability "Akroma, Angel of Fury can’t be countered."

On the other hand, Mindbreak trap doesnt specifically say "Counter target spell" it says to "Exile target spell" and Akroma doesnt say anything like "Akroma, Angel of Fury can’t be exiles."

So whats the deal, can I use mindbreak trap in this case or not?

Twanos is offline Master Mason

Default Re: mindbreak trap Zendikar and cannot be countered

Until the card rulings come our when zendikar is released we can't know for sure but everything I do know tells me you will be able to use it to exile it from the stack effectivly making it a "soft counter".

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: mindbreak trap Zendikar and cannot be countered

yeah unless the rulings turn out to be something unexpected exiling something from the stack is not identical to countering it so you should be able to use it on things that cant be countered. if this thread is still on my radar by the time the ruling comes out (knowing my attation span unlikely but who knows ^^) ill try posting an update with the final call on that.