+ Reply to Thread
    tagg is offline Very Common

Default blazing salvo magic card rules

Blazing salvo says:

Blazing Salvo deals 3 damage to target creature unless that creature's controller has Blazing Salvo deal 5 damage to him or her

So I deal 3 damage to target creature, bt what does it mean "creature's controller has Blazing Salvo"? Does he need to reveal it in his hand to prevent the 5 damage to him, or can he have it in graveyard or library?

Twanos is offline Master Mason

Default Re: blazing salvo magic card rules

It means that if you cast Blazing Salvo at one of my creatures, then I as the controller of the creature can choose to have your Blazing Salvo do 5 damage to me instead of 3 to my creature.

tagg is offline Very Common

But I thought I first do 3 dmg to target creature and then I do 5 more damage to player if he doesnt have a blazing salvo

sorry, you thought wrong.

You target the creature with 3 damage. The controller of that creature then gets to choose if your blazing salvo does 3 damage to the creature ot 5 damage to them.

klicker is offline Super Moderator

yeah Twanos is right thats how it works. Controller of target creature chooses whether to take 5 damage or have the 3 damage dealt to the creature.

I am guessing you read it like this (notice I've added some punctuation):

Blazing Salvo deals 3 damage to target creature. Unless that creature's controller has Blazing Salvo, deal 5 damage to him or her

But the card does not have that punctuation, and without it there is only one way to read it, that target creature's controller chooses whether to have Blazing Salvo deal 3 dmg to the creature or to them

TauntingElf is offline Uncommon

Yeah reading it any other way doesnt make sense plus then what woud "creature's controller has Blazing Salvo" mean like has in hand or library or graveyard or maybe if just own a blazing salvo

klicker is offline Super Moderator

3 dmg to creature AND 5 dmg to player for only red 1 mana... that wouldve been way too broken

tattletale is offline Uncommon

I think I once played it with a friend that it dealt 8 dmg because I also read it wrong

seba1983 Guest

im not 100% certain on this but i think taking the 5 damage actualy is a replacement effect. that would in turn mean that the 3 damage are not prevented they never happen. now if its a replacement effect does it actualy target the creature if you take the 5 ? say you target a skulking ghost and take the 5 the ghost should live ... if its a replacement effekt.

can anyone confirm this ?

Choosing the target is part of the announcement of the spell. If the controller of the creature chooses the damage can be redirected to them but in this case you are redirecting only the damage and not the target of the spell.

For it to be redirecting the target to you instead of the creature the card would have to read something like this...

Blazing salvo deals 3 damage to target creature. The controller of the creature may have blazing salvo target them instead and deal an additional 2 damage.

Basically Wizards got lazy and used the word "that" in the phrase "unless that creatures contoller" instead of the more wordy but more accurate "unless the targeted creatures controller" The meaning is the same though.