+ Reply to Thread
    kevin is offline Uncommon

Default should i buy booster packs or starter packs for mtg

should i buy booster packs or starter packs for mtg

Lakepirate is offline Planeswalker

Default Re: should i buy booster packs or starter packs for mtg

By Starters do you mean the Preconstructed 40-41 card Decks?

Also, are you new to MTG?

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

I personally bought an intro pack when I started and used it for about 2 days then I built my own deck, with the help of some people from my local store. I think the investment is okay, but you could pry get something a bit better to learn with if you just hang out there and see if anyone can use there commons and uncommons to build you a deck to learn with which usually won't cost you anything.

Lakepirate is offline Planeswalker

I agree with Kappu1. I kinda did the same thing.

-Longish story, feel free to skip-
    I started collecting some cards in Unlimited... then stopped. I was later given cards from Ice Age when it came out, but then I stopped again. (Mainly because I was pretty young and didn't know anyone else who played, or could really teach me how to play) Finally I got back into the game around Onslaught when I met a few guys in High School that played. They taught me how to play with decks that they had. I really liked and Elf deck that one of them had, so I went an bought the Legions pre constructed Elf deck (back then it was 60 card precon decks) I played with that deck for a little bit, then my friends gave me a bunch of extra green commons and uncommons to help make my deck better.

In short, precons/starter decks are good starting out because you get a decent "chunk" of cards that work together.

However, for the purpose of getting new cards, I would suggest just buying packs... Unless you need several of the cards that are in one of the precons. (I bought 4 Nezumi Betrayers of Kamigawa precon decks to get a play set of Jittes. - Plus, the precon was $13 and the Jitte alone went for $16)