+ Reply to Thread
    Aurelius is offline Common

Default most broken black cards

what are the most broken black cards in magic?

Alterloth is offline Uncommon

Default Re: most broken black cards

Reiver Demon is a pretty broken black MTG card...

seba1983 Guest

even though i did not want to post in this forum again i still check it from time to time in case someone writes me a pn or something. reading reaver deamon as a broken black card i can not let pass without saying something.

imho reaver deamon is far from broken. broken does not mean its good. it does not even mean its fantastic. broken means its a good bit better than it ever should have been (or makes more mana than it costs if you go by the historical meaning).

reaver demon, whilst a very strong casual card has not made a relevant impact on any competative format and is far, very far from broken.

here is what i personaly consider the most broken black card ever: Yawgmoth's Will. if you ever saw a deck that abused it you would know why. this is one of the cards wizards later realised ohh my god what did we do ...

other goor examples of black brokeness are: Necropotence, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor or Imperial Seal.

Dark Ritual qualifies on account of the historical definition and by beeing pehapse the best mana ritual there is.

in general it is very rare that creatures are broken because of the numerous and efficant ways to handle them. even Tarmogoyf the best green creature of all times (may be even the best agro creature in all of magic - i weep for superman and dr. tooth) is not realy considered broken. unhealthy for diversety of the legacy format, yes but not broken. it is a card that should never have been printed that way but it still can be handled in such numerous ways that it will always be on a diffrent scale that the cards mentioned above.

note this is just my humble oppinion and yours can very well differ. however haveing spend more time than i dare to admit analysing card desing, game theory and history of magic it is an oppinion that is based on a good amount of knowledge about the game.

Alterloth is offline Uncommon

I am well aware of the fact that "broken" means that it is not good...I have been involved in many MTG playing scenarios where people state that a card is "broken", meaning that they do not like it and what it does...and I have played a Reaver Demon before and have destroyed lots of creatures and someone mentioned that it is broken...in conclusion, somebody other than myself mentioning that a card is broken makes the card broken...Demonic Tutor is not a broken card as there are many cards in MTG where you can search for cards in a library...where is the brokenness in that huh?

guyarney is offline Uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
    what are the most broken black cards in magic?
    Start with the restricted and banned lists:
    Demonic Consultation
    Demonic Tutor (Best tutor card ever.)
    Imperial Seal
    Necropotence
    Vampiric Tutor
    Yawgmoth's Bargain
    Yawgmoth's Will (Considered by many to be the most broken card ever.)
    Most of these are tutors, all represent forms of card advantage.

Here's a few other very powerful cards that aren't banned or restricted:
    Dark Ritual
    Sinkhole
    Hymn to Tourach
    Duress
    Thoughtseize
    Entomb (Another tutor. It used to be banned/restricted. I predict it will be again.)
    Dark Confidant
    The Abyss
    Nether Void
    Nantuko Shade
    Hypnotic Specter

No doubt I missed some, but this is a good start.