+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Innistrad...Ravnica?

Church is offline Common

Default Innistrad...Ravnica?

Okay so as crazy as this might sound to all of you, I have been hearing several rumors that Innistrad set to release later this year will actually be a Ravnica revisit.

Couple bits of info to back up this rumor:

1. Back in between Rise of the Eldrazi and Scars of Mirrodin, Wizards announced on their daily blog that they were going to avoid creating new planes for a while.

2. Liliana, as the poster girl for Innistrad looks as though she's sitting on a throne (obviously). Possibly a Orzhov guild room.

3. Although the guilds fell in Dissension, there are some who still work out the guilds in secret. Storylines from the books Agents of Aritifice and Test of Metal can confirm this.

4. Agents of Artifice and Test of Metal also layed quite a bit of storyline build up for Liliana. For one, we know that she made deals with at least 4 different demons to maintain eternal life, and its time to pay up to them. In the Agents, she helps Jace overthrow Tezzeret to gain control of a multiplanar merchant company to return it to Nicol Bolas in exchange for his help in destroying these demons. While they did overthrow Tezzy she did not gain control and therefore could not return it to Bolas, so that plan right there went out the window.

5. One of the Planeswalker comics depicts Liliana and Garruk fighting (which was the inspiration for the duel deck box). Shortly after their fight, Liliana is sent by one of her demons to go find the chain veil, a veil that holds the power of 1000 souls. Liliana finds it, and puts it on, gaining its power but walked off with it. Whether she delivered it to the demon, or if she still has it is unkown.

6. Considering she as at least 4 demons tailing her, they are sure to send some kind of phantasmic and horrible creatures at Liliana, thus the tagline "Horror Lurk Within"

7. Liliana spent a good time on Ravnica after the Guilds fell in Agents or Artifice (Nearly a year or so). It is possible she heard about the remenants of the Orzhov. If you have trouble fighting off demons you owe a debt to, what better place to try than the guild of deals?

8. Finally, probably the best piece of info comes to light. A book was written for the magic storyline that was supposed to be a sequal to agents of artifice along with test of metal. It was called curse of the chain veil (referring to the veil in the comic). The book was entirely finished and published, but yet was not allowed to release. Why? because of Innistrad. The Agents/Metal/Veil books all heavily revolved around Jace, Liliana, and Tezzeret. As of the end of Test of Metal, Jace was on the run from Tezz. Considering everything he owns is in Ravnica, and the population of the plane, it is very possible he is hiding out there.

9. WARNING THIS POINT HAS SPOILERS ABOUT THE BOOK "QUEST FOR KARN"
    I have just finished reading Quest for Karn, and the last I read of Tezzeret, he was leading half the phyrexians against Glissa and her force of Phyrexians. There was no indication of who won the battle, but considering that Tezz is a walker we can safely guess he prevailed. I don't imagine he'll be coming back to Ravnica now that he has control of Phyrexians but at the end of Test of Metal he said that if he ever guessed that Jace did not fear him enough, he would come find him so theres a possible loop to that.

10. It is likely that Garruk is coming back in Innistrad despite having a reprint in M12. In the web comic, he was cursed by Liliana during their fight and it is possible that he is looking to either get revenge or get cured. Wizards also released they will release a card called "Garruk the Enlightened" Which is possible that the card could be G/B even though black really isnt an elightening color. But a G/B walker would be interesting for Golgari play if this rumor is true.

Keep in mind this is all just speculation and rumors. I could have this all wrong and just be babbling like an idiot here but this is just info i gathered xD

so thanks for reading, if you have any thoughts on the subject or any additional info please post! thanks!

--Church

Jake1991 is offline Scarce

Default Re: Innistrad...Ravnica?

The setting for Innistrad Block is Innistrad. It's the name of the plane.

Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

Do you have a link to which i can read either a summary of these novels or the entire thing? I know very little about the walkers except that jace is native to ravnica... right? Also, if you noticed something... I read an article about Innistrad and the designers and richard garfield is on the team (which he hasn't been a part of a design team since the ravnica block) So you are probably right that it is a revisit to revnica. I personally think revisiting planes will be a great way to add more to a plane of which we haven't seen.

Church is offline Common

Oh! Right i forgot about that!

Well then thats another point.

Richard Garfield will be helping with the set and he hasn't been in the design team since...yes you guessed it, RAVNICA.

Again, all fan speculation.

Jake1991 is offline Scarce

Mark Rosewater stated on his Twitter page that Innistrad takes place on Innistrad.

Use Ctrl+F to find the tweet. It was posted April 29th.

[/thread]

Church is offline Common

Chodie: Just go ahead and wiki the books, they'll give you a quick synopse of everything important that happened.

Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

Yes... as stated in another thread, Innistrad will be Innistrad. Which I heard, from a rumor, is where serra is from... I guess... No so sure. As much as I'd like to revisit ravnica, it is not going to be in the next set. Please refer to this thread for speculation and rumors and such.

Innistrad rumors, speculation, and spoilers

Church is offline Common

bummer... was a nice thought tho

Oh btw just looked at the Innistrad picture again...

guess what Liliana is holding in her hand chain veil

There was actually speculation that Innistrad was a revisit to Ulgrotha at one point.

Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

Where's that? :/ Is there any reference to it in the series?

Church is offline Common

Homelands (Magic: The Gathering) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Came form the homelands set. Quite a while ago

Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

I'm sure innistrad is not a revisit set. Does the name innistrad say anything about a revisit? At least SOM had an already known plane in the name. Though i did google innistrad for research and only came up with some fake cards and a story line that had something with serra and feroz, which is talked about in homelands. Ulgrotha and Innistrad are different names...

Church is offline Common

At this point i just say we wait for the damn set to come out xD

and in the mean time...M12

Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

Well If you refered to the innistrad spoiler thread it clearly shows liliana (also note that sorin replaces liliana in M12 and gideon replaces ajani. Ajani and Bolas are in DD) Though in some other forum they disagree because she "doesn't have her tattoos" which, according to them (and the novel they claim to have read) states the tattoos only appear when she casts spells.

They also talked about innistrad being on homelands. If innistrad is set on homelands then it must be a landmark of some sort, like a castle headquarters or something crazy like that.

Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

Whoa... total breakthrough... Did you guys see the dead guy behind liliana's throne in the pic floating around? Some people say it looks like Baron Sengir which is a card from homelands, which is set on ulgrotha.

Hence the speculation I mentioned. In the Future Sight novel, Nicol Bolas and Leshrac engage in a duel where they 'walk in and out of various planes (Kamigawa, Ravnica) *including one with what appears to be an organized vampire army led by a dude with a description similar to Baron Sengir*. When Zen spoilers showed vampires, I thought they may have simply been pointing to them, but Zen lacked an organized vamp force.
    Last edited by Void Elemental; 05-11-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

Yeah, sorry... I went over this thread a second time and noticed you mentioned that speculation. Sorry Void. So how likely is it that Innistrad is on Ulgroth?

Church is offline Common

Chodie: Back to you're comment on Lil's tattoos. Agents or Artifice confirms that they only show when she's activating her magic, otherwise they stay dormant.

They're not tattoos so much as marks of power kind of like how Chandra's hair sets on fire or Jace's eyes glow

It's too early to say yet, but I hope it is. The Homelands story is a weak point for me; I've only read second-hand accounts.

Chodie is offline Scarce
    Blog Entries

From what I've heard, homelands was one of the worst sets... It's only natural that designers would want to make it better by revisiting it and adding interesting mechanics to it.