+ Reply to Thread
    Josh is offline Very Rare

Default An Open Letter to Spike WOTC Tom LaPille

Read the full letter at WOTC's site:
    An Open Letter to Spike : Daily MTG : Magic: The Gathering

Here's a quote

You might wonder at this point why I say we can't know exactly what our Magic metagames look like. There are only a handful of Magic developers, and another few handfuls of people who help with Constructed and Limited playtesting. If that small group of people knew exactly what a Magic metagame looked like, it would take barely any time for the millions of you Spikes out there in the world to figure it out, and that would be no fun at all for you. I know it's hard to keep perspective while you're actually playing a game of Magic—I was one of you before I started working here, and all I cared about once a game started was beating my opponents. However, we all play games because they're fun, and it's more important to us that you enjoy our game than it is that we understand it perfectly. So as it is, we're always doing a little bit of educated guessing.

TauntingElf is offline Uncommon

Default Re: An Open Letter to Spike WOTC Tom LaPille

Who's Spike

seba1983 Guest

spike is a general term in magic used for a certain typ of play. an achetype if you will.
    here is what usualy is considerd to make out a spike:

spikes play to win

spikes attemt to gain as much information on every part of the game they are currently in and work with that information.

spikes play competative not casual

spikes have forgotten that magic is fun.

the last tow i added because thats what most people assosiate with spikeness. personaly i totaly disagree. i see no reason why you can not try to make all the right plays and still be casual. casual does not have to be playing badly on purpose. people who see casual that way usualy dislike spikes because they try to play well. allways. that in turn helps spikes developing thier play skill hence playing well even more of the time. spikes tend to bring deck to casual that a good amount of thought have been put into. deck that are not tournament decks but finely tuned "low-power" machines. random players loose to these decks. because a deck with a concept is better than one without even if the cards themselves are infirior and because the spike plays them well.

i personaly would consider myself a spike. yes i like to win but i don not have to to have fun. yes i like to play well because the fun in magic for me is the interlectual challange.

being a casual spike can be a very lost place to be in ^^. if your in luck like arix (and twanos i guess) you have enough likeminded people in your area. if like me you dont then that *****.

p.s.: arix & twanos i hope you dont mind me calling ou casual spikes. just from what i read so fra from both of you you seem to fit the mold ^^

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Oh, I'm certainly not a Spike. Don't get me wrong, I like winning (who doesn't?), but it's definitely a second priority to just plain having fun. More than once I've made the play that lost me the game (and I knew it would), purely because it would make for a memorable moment. I'm Johnny, through and through.

As for the article...I read the first paragraph yesterday and got bored. Hmmm.
    Fluttershy is best pony.