+ Reply to Thread
    Todd is offline Uncommon

Default mtg sacrifice stack

does sacrifice ability go on the stack?

Twanos is offline Master Mason

Default Re: mtg sacrifice stack

I'm not a 100% on your question so I'll give 2 situations and hopefully one is what you need.

1) You sacrifice something as part of the activation of an ability. In this case you sacrifice the permanent which does not go on the stack, then the activated ability will go on the stack.

2) A spell or ability forces you to sacrifice a permanent. In this case the spell or ability was on the stack and when it resolves you sacrifice the permanent which does not go on the stack.

So, Sacrifice does not go on the stack. Sacrifice abilities can go on the stack if from situation 1. Hope that helps. If you need more clarification please let me know.

tankermike83 is offline Very Common

Please help. Question about this scenario...
    Example: I cast PLUMMET on a flying 4/4 angel, Player 2 then use's the sacrafice ability on GLARING SPOTLIGHT. How would this resolve? Cause im under the impression that the stack would be this.... 1- PLUMMET, 2- GLARING SPOTLIGHT, and then the sac ability would go off after PLUMMET. Please educate me on your experties.

Twanos is offline Master Mason

You cast Plummet targeting the angel, and Plummet goes on the stack.

Plummet

Player 2 responds by activating the spotlight putting it's ability on the stack.

So the stack now looks like this...

Spotlight
    Plummet

The stack always resolves from the top down or LIFO (Last in, first out).

So the spotlight resolves giving the angel hexproof.

Plummet starts to try to resolve. It first checks to make sure it's target is still legal. In this case the Angel has hexproof and can't be targeted by your spell so it is an illegal target. The game then "counters" and removes it from the stack and it goes to your graveyard having done nothing. Which many people refer to as your spell fizzling.