+ Reply to Thread
    MagicMagic is offline Uncommon

Default magic what can you respond to

what can you respond to in magic??

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: magic what can you respond to

you can "respond" to nothing in magic. responding is a term used to explain the way priority and the stack work without explaining how both work. its quite a complex subject so the respond explanation is quite good for new players.

the "lie" for new players goes like this: you can respond whenever your opponent does something or changes the phase (like "i want to go into my combat phase" - a phrase that is actualy totaly wrong when you get deeper into the fine mechanics of the rules)

to give you a brife overview you can only do stuff if you have priority. the active player (the one who's turn it is) will gain prioroty first whenever the stack is empty and all "beginning of phase actions" have be dealt with in the draw step, upkeep step, 1st and 2nd main phase, the steps of the attack phase and the end step. for instance drawing a card is one such action.

when the active player chooses to pass (do nothing or do nothing more) all othere players gain priority in clockwise order. that when you can "respond".

if all of this is confusing to you do not dispare. thats just natural when you new to the game.