+ Reply to Thread
    Twanos is offline Master Mason

Default Standard Deck Design From Start to Final

I have decided to build a new deck and will be working on it here over the coming weeks-months both to get input from others and also so some of the newer players who frequent this forum can see how a deck progresses over time.

THE DECK
    Spells: 19
    4 Warp World
    4 Rampant Growth
    4 Harrow
    4 Sign in Blood
    3 Diabolic Tutor

Creatures: 16
    4 Ob Nixilis the Fallen
    4 Lotus Cobra
    4 Rampaging Baloths
    4 Birds of Paradise

Land: 25
    4 Verdant Catacomb
    4 Rootbound Crag
    4 Mountain
    8 Forest
    5 Swamp

The idea is fairly straight forward. Ramp out as many land as possible as fast as possible. Then use either Baloths and/or Obs. But wait... Why are 4 warp world in there?? That's my combo piece. Ramp out a ton of lands then warp. I have more than enough mana to warp on turn 3 with 6-9 permanen in play ideally get Obs but Baloth works too + land. As they enter at the same time they do see each other thus Obs + Obs + 4 lands = 24 life lost (granted both Obs would then immediately die due to the legend rule but who care I won. Baloth + X + 4 land = lots of fatties.

And this is doing it at the weakest point for me. The longer the game goes on the more stuff will happen once I warp. The deck can ramp out mana very easy, I have draw to keep it going and search for a missing piece.

Now for a small disclaimer. This deck, as stated above, is in the initial concept stage. It will undoubtedly change a great deal as I start to go thru card optimization and testing. I'm open to input if you think of a card that might be killer in the deck.

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: Standard Deck Design From Start to Final

sadly you dont have access to witness or even anarchist in standard to retrive the warp world and go infinate ... had a casual deck that did that once.

generaly speaking cards that generate you more than 1 permanent are realy awsom for any deck running warp world. as for this deck i would consider sige-gang comander. you go off on turn 4 granted but with about 5 extra permanents.

the biggest problem for a deck like this are non-permanent cards. whilst i see why you want to run stuff like sign in blood and tutor they are the worst you can reveal with warp world. than again you need to find your warp world consistantly (something my casual deck was not concrened about since it was casual). i think here the most testing needs to be made to find the right balance.

so thats my first input so far. tell me how it plays out after some testing and then i'll try to do some more thinking.

Edit: currently your runing about 1/3 non permanet spells ... that results in about 1/3 of the cards warp reveals being useless ... here's a thought on that: i'd try going with -4 sign in blood -3 tutor ; +4 lilian vess +3 sige-gang comander ... you effectivly still running 4 tutors but its a permanent. you will most of the time only go off on turn 4 and i cant tell if thats a problem but you should be much more consistant when you go off.
    Last edited by seba1983; 10-07-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Twanos is offline Master Mason

First testing was an epic fail... working on a redesign

seba1983 Guest

ok let me know how it goes.