+ Reply to Thread
    seba1983 Guest

Default VIntage deck - your thoughts

im thinking of going to my first vintage tournament next month. they allow for 15 proxies. what deck would you play and why ? i dont own any power 9 or stuff thats like 30 $ + so any deck where 15 proxies arent enough to cover the realy expensive cards are out of the question.

what do you think about christmas beating the r/g agro deck with lots of mainbord disruption. can it make a top 8 when played right ? or is it just an attempt to go budget but all in all just a rouge deck ?

Twanos is offline Master Mason

Default Re: VIntage deck - your thoughts

Since you like control/lock decks you might find this one interesting. The deck is one that I have run lots of times back in the day called "Mommy May I?". And yes I used to make opponents say "Mommy May I?" before attempting to play a spell or I would counter it. Even when they asked "Mommy" usually said "No!" and countered it anyway but it was always nice adding a degree of humiliation to them.

4 Force of Will - proxy
    4 Counterspell
    4 Mana Drain - proxy
    3 Boomerang
    4 Propaganda
    2 Last Word - proxy
    3 Rewind
    3 Decree of Silence
    2 Fact or Fiction - proxy
    3 Power Conduit
    2 Trade Routes
    1 Time Walk - proxy
    1 Ancestral Recall - proxy
    1 Mox Sapphire - proxy
    3 Stalking Stones
    4 Cloudpost
    16 Island

This deck should be easy to make and using the proxies out lined be made for less than $50 assuming you had to buy all the other cards.

The 4 propaganda will keep aggro off of you long enough to establish control. You have enough counters to stop any combo deck. And you can out last most other control since you have a way to get near infinate counters.

Decree of Silence + Power Conduit = they have to cast 4 spells in a single turn to get rid of the decree. Assuming they do, you let the 4th trigger go on the stack then boomerang the decree back to your hand before it resolves and adds the killing counter.

When you add in Stalking Stones to this you have an uncounterable creature that just keeps getting bigger (from the power conduit) if they try to cast spells to stop it or decree.

The trade routes is a very under valued card IMO. It's perfect in counter decks because it gives you a huge card advantage and makes sure you aren't having any useless land draws mid/late game.

Fact or Fiction is a good instant speed draw card that lets you dig for a combo piece and/or get a few counters.

seba1983 Guest

Default Re: VIntage deck - your thoughts

fact or fiction is restriced.

how do you get the decree into play befor say turn 6 with countermana ? you usualy have to use your force befor then.

the only agro in vintage that you realy could stop is ichorid and that is better stoped useing crypt.

cloudpost i dont like at all. i would only play one tur 3 the earlyest because before that they prevent a turn 2 mana drain. its so important to be able to do that. so thats +2 mana on turn 5 ...

i also dislike rewind and last word. they have great effect but 4 mana to counter seems too slow in a format where most decks need to be heaviely disrupted on turn 1-2.

im also missing the wasteland, stripmine package to stop a toerian akademy ruining your day (crop rotation just got unrestricted)

4+ spells is no trouble for stromcombo decks. most of them are so resiliant by now that they can still kill you after the 4 decree counters + 1-2 backup counters. and they tend to do so on turn 1-3 so usualy befor the decree hits the table.

im also missing some kind of bounce like hurk. recal or rebuild to have some answer against stacks. if that deck can slip something past your counters you tend not to counter much after that: trinispheer, spheer of resistance, tanglewire, thorn of amethyst etc. also smokestacks breaks your dcreelock rather fast if it resolves. mishras workshop can easiely let it resolve turn 1.

when already playing powered why no lotus and petal ?

all in all the deck looks fun. it just does not look liek a deck that can hold its own in todays vintage. decks to beat are stuff like stax, tez, tendrils and all of these deck will have a pretty good matchup against this because they can force through must-counter stuff that makes you loose the game or in the case of stax throws more must-counter stuff at you thanthis deck could handle on turn 1 and 2 ...