+ Reply to Thread
    Josh is offline Very Rare

Default Magic Sleep Rules Tap all creatures target player controls. Those creatures don't...

Was wondering about the card Sleep

It says:

Tap all creatures target player controls. Those creatures don't untap during that player's next untap step.

So if target player has 5 creatures, 4 of them are tapped and 1 of them are untapped. I play Sleep and tap that one creature (since the other 4 are already tapped)

In the next untap step, will all 5 creatures remain tapped, or only the one which I tapped will remain tapped and the other 4 he can untap?

Sphinx is offline Uncommon

Default Re: Magic Sleep Rules Tap all creatures target player controls. Those creatures don't

Yeah good question, basically it comes to how we read the word "Those creatures"

Does "Those creatures" refer to "all creatures target player controls" which was just before it in the sentence?

Or does it refer to the creatures that you tapped?

I don't know the answer to this sorry. If I had to guess I'd say only the creatures that you tapped get to stay tapped in next untap phase

Urza is offline Uncommon

Default Re: Magic Sleep Rules Tap all creatures target player controls. Those creatures don't

I think "those" refers to all "creatures target player controls", so all 5 creatures would not untap next turn even though you only tapped 1 of them through the card

klicker is offline Super Moderator

Good question, The FAQ for that card states that:

The second part of Sleep's effect affects all creatures the targeted player controls as Sleep resolves, not just the ones that Sleep actually caused to become tapped.