+ Reply to Thread
    saiyan is offline Very Common

Default are magic cards worth anything

I used to collect and play mtg 10-15 years ago,I recently moved and found all my cards. I have thousands of cards 4th edition,5th edition,tempest,ice age,weatherlight,mirage,stronghold,portal,unglued. I also remember having some alliance,homeland,unlimited,3rd edition,arabian nights,legends,visions and several starter decks and decks. Would it be worth my time and effort to go through them and sell them or would i be wasting my time?

Tetris is offline Uncommon

Default Re: are magic cards worth anything

There are many cards that are worth a lot, especially from unlimited and Arabian Nights, and other sets. For example a Library of Alexandria from Arabian Nights is worth like $200. You can get a general idea by checking here:
    Magic: The Gathering Rarity Guide - MTG Rarity List - MTG Price Guide

you could also sell as lots if you dont want to bother going through all of them but like I said there may be valuable cards.

Maybe list what you have from the following sets and we can see if anything is really rare:
    Unlimited
    Revised
    Arabian Nights
    Alpha/Beta?

ok yeah i considered just selling them all as a lot on ebay,but i know i have alot of rare cards and it would make me sick to find out i sold thousands of dollars worth of cards for 50 bucks. Ill go through them and list the more valuable cards. I know i won a signed card and several booster packs from alpha,beta,unlimited and others i just cant remember what ones i have. i remember having a eureka,winter orb,badlands,reflecting pool,palladia mors and ashnods alter.

so far ive found
    Portal: Personal Tudor
    Legends:Karakas,sol'kanar swamp king
    The Dark:elves of deep shadow,ball lightning
    Unlimited:animate dead,control magic,crusade,sinkhole,sol ring
    Tempest:Wasteland,commander greven el vec,aluren,ancient tomb,7 counterspell,meditate,perish,rathi dragon
    revised 3rd edition:clone,black knight,birds of paradise,cockatrice,wheel of fortune

I Just went through 1 Binder,i still have 8 more binders to look through, is wasteland from tempest really worth 35 bucks its a common? If i knew how much those booster packs i won in tournaments years ago were gonna be worth i wouldnt have opened them. Do alot of people still play magic? The place i used to always play closed down a long time ago,i think it was called ogres lair in charleston wv.

Kenji is offline Scarce

Yeah, people still play Magic, which is why a lot of the cards are worth so much in the first place. Sure, some cards would be valuable anyway because they're rare, but others have reached the prices they have based solely on their playability and how hard they are to find (supply and demand, etc.). Magic is definitely still considered the best card game, and only Yu-Gi-Oh! has more popularity (though, that's pretty much entirely from a much younger demographic).

Anyway, just from the cards you listed, there are some gems. I used MTG Magic: The Gathering card search for these, which lists prices from several vendors. Of course, since these are their selling prices, you'll ultimately get slightly less than what's listed. eBay is generally going to be your best option, as you'll get more money there than you would from selling to a card store (online or brick and mortar). Here are some example prices:

Personal Tutor: $15-20, even though it's an uncommon; Portal had a very limited print run compared to most sets.

Karakas: $40+, another uncommon, although Legends is one of the oldest sets and as such many of its cards are worth a lot.

Sol'kanar the Swamp King: However, a card's playability greatly affects its value most of the time. As proof, Sol'kanar is only worth $5-10, and it's a Legends rare.

Elves of Deep Shadow: $1, moving on...

Ball Lightning: Though not worth as much in its later printings, from The Dark it'll go for $10, maybe a bit more.

Animate Dead: $2
    Control Magic: $1-2
    Crusade: $4-5

Sinkhole: Unlimited was its last printing, and it's an extremely playable card. As such, its $30-40 price tag is hardly surprising despite its common status.

Sol Ring: $15-20, as it's an uncommon that is basically always used in formats where it's legal (for reference, it's restricted to 1 in Vintage, and banned outright in Legacy, which is considered a "balanced" version of the Vintage format)

Wasteland: Yes, it's really worth about $35 or so, as it's an incredibly good uncommon from Tempest.

Actually, I don't wanna go through all of the rest -- I think you get the idea that many older Magic cards can be worth money. It really just depends on how much the players are willing to pay for them.

Oh, and one other thing: if you have any revised "dual lands" (things like Taiga, Tundra, Scrubland, Underground Sea, etc.), you have tons of value there. Even the most undesirable one, Plateau, is still worth $30-35. Most are worth anywhere between $40 and 60, with some (Underground Sea) going into the $70-80 range.

Anyway, I hope this helped! It's generally less likely for your newer cards to hold value, but there certainly are some exceptions. Plus, if your "newest" set is from 1998, things are still looking pretty good. Two random examples: Sliver Queen, Stronghold rare, goes for about $25-30, and Force of Will, Alliances uncommon, is about $45-50.

thanks alot,i found a site called card kingdom they pay
    Buy Price EX VG G
    0.05 - 15.99 75% 60% 35%
    16.00 - 59.99 80% 70% 50%
    60.00 + 85% 75% 65%
    do you think that would be a fair price? On ebay should i list them individually or put the best cards in lots?
    I also found a few more pretty valuable cards an unlimited bayou and Arabian nights diamond valley. Seeing all this again makes me miss playing,i wish i had the time to play again but i have a kid now and work 6 days a week so i dont see a point in keeping the cards might as well sell them and let some1 else get some enjoyment out of them

Minineko is offline Common

Unlimited Bayou is about 60$ in good condition and Diamond Valley can be 80+$

List good stuff (20+$ cards) individually, rest as a lot