+ Reply to Thread
    hotsoss834 is offline Common

Default Should I make the trade?

I know a guy who wants my Jace tms (Mint). He said he would give me a moderately played (whitened edges) tropical island and volcanic island, both revised obviously. I'm not using the Jace, I'm mostly worried about if I'm getting a fair trade or is he getting the better trade. I don't know much about the value of these cards when they have the play on them that they do. Should I do it?

Kenji is offline Scarce

Default Re: Should I make the trade?

Well, this depends upon a few things:

1. Are you comfortable with the trade?
    2. When you say 'moderately played', are we talking scuffed edges or any obvious damage? Or are they definitely playable in a tournament setting (with sleeves, of course)?
    3. Are you a Legacy/Vintage player? I guess casual counts also, but as far as tournament formats, Legacy and Vintage are the ones that this applies to.

JTMS is currently going for about $80-95 online, depending on where you look. Tropical Island is about $60, and Volcanic Island is roughly $40-50.

I would personally do the trade, but that's because I much prefer the true dual lands over 1 measly Jace. Of course, this is also dependent on the overall condition of his cards. If everything aligns well for you, then it could be a good trade.

Edit - Ah, I didn't see that you mentioned the whitened edges. Well, that certainly decreases their value a bit, but the revised duals still command high prices even when in less-than-stellar condition (for example, most of the dual lands that sell in the $50+ range are still in moderately-to-heavily played condition).

If they're in tournament-playable condition (ie, not marked when sleeved in a full deck), I would go for it. However, seeing as you're trading away a mint condition Jace, you should see if he'd be willing to throw in another $5-$10 in value.

Sword is offline Common

I think the trade is in his favor

a played Tropical Island is worth around $40
    a payed volcanic island is worth $30-$35

JTM ferches $80-$90 nowadays

So I wouldnt go with this trade unless he adds $10-$15 worth of stuff

either way, since you say you are not using Jace I do recommend trading or selling it now as I think the value is pretty much at his peak and might go down in the future.

Crocodile is offline Uncommon

depends a lot on the condition of the duals, exactly how"played" are them. I personally wouldnt do it unless he added some stuff. I think you can get more for your Jace