+ Reply to Thread
    Buster is offline Uncommon

Default what does creatures you control mean?

what does "creatures you control" mean exactly in magic?

Alterloth is offline Uncommon

Default Re: what does creatures you control mean?

Whenever you cast a creature from your hand, it enters the battlefield under your control. Nobody else owns it until an opponent casts a spell enchanting it over to their battlefield under their control (for example, any blue control cards...Control Magic, for example). All creatures that you cast are controlled by you.

Arix is offline Merrymaker

As a little clarification, there's a difference between "own" and "control". Creatures you control are any creatures on the battlefield that you cast and resolved, any tokens that came into play under your control, any creature under effects that give you control of them, etc. However, cards you own are the cards that started off in your deck.

Say, for example, I play a Runeclaw Bear. When it resolves, it comes into play under my control. Then you play Mind Control on it, so now you control it. However, sicne it started the game in my deck, I still own it. Any card that refers to that creature's controller will mean you, whereas any that refer to its owner mean me.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

@Arix: Right...if my opponent decided to use an enchantment to take my creature away from me, I could cast a Vampiric Link on it so that I would gain life if it attacks me from my opponent's battlefield because I still own the creature but don't control it...

Arix is offline Merrymaker

You'd gain the life, but not for that reason. Whoever controls or owns the creature is irrelevant. The thing here is that you control the enchantment, and the ability that gains life is one of the enchantment, not of the creature.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Yeah I know...I was just using Vampiric Link as a non sequiter for an example of what I would do if my opponent took away a creature I controlled