+ Reply to Thread
    lucky is offline Uncommon

Default how many lands and creatures should be in a deck of 60

how many lands and creatures should be in a deck of 60

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Default Re: how many lands and creatures should be in a deck of 60

Depends on the deck typically 20-24 Lands

White Weenie only runs 16 lands.

It really just depends on your deck setup there are some decks that only run 4-6 creatures.

Alterloth is offline Uncommon

All of my decks have 20 lands, 20 creatures, and 20 other spells in order to mana shuffle easily but I will probably be retooling everything soon...my suggestion would be to go online and look at the contents of a theme deck based on what you want to do and build it with creatures, lands, and whatnot based very loosely on the number of different things in one of them...

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

I on the other hand disagree with Alterloth, I would never buy a theme deck unless it had multiple cards in it I actually needed for a deck that would be cheaper than buying them in singles. But if you buy a theme deck to build it up to something that may be okay I just prefer to build a more competative deck.

On a side note you can get the dual decks and stuff if you need a ccertain planeswalker and sometimes they are cheaper than the actual planeswalker itself. They had a sale at my local shop which was the case I bought 4 duel decks for 30 bucks and got 4 Jaces and 4 Chandra's Then I took all the rest of the deck and gave them to the younger kids learning to play at my local meta.

Twanos is offline Master Mason

When just learning the game, and judging by the question I'm assuming you are, I recommend you put in 1 land for every 2 symbols in casting costs of that color...

So if you have 4 Path to Exile in your deck at "W" as a casting cost then for all 4 cards that's 4 "W". At 1 land for every 2 that in turn means you need to have 2 plains.

If you have 1 Serra Angel with a casting cost of 3WW then you have 2 symbols so you need 1 plains...

This will normally put you at about 22-24 like others have stated but for multicolor decks it also makes sure you have the right amount of each type of land.

On an advanced mote: Non-land mana producing cards like artifacts with casting costs greater than 1 should not affect your land count. Non-land mana producing card like Llanowar Elves with a casting cost of 1 can take to place of lands at a ratio of 2:1 meaning for ever 2 cards with a 1 casting cost that can produce mana you can remove 1 land from your deck.

On an even more advanced note: For multicolor decks I recommend you start by putting all basic lands in then start replace the basics with multi-color producing land such as city of brass at a ratio of 3:4. Meaning you can put in 3 multicolor producers but take out 4 basics. This thins your deck of a few land but the efficentcy makes up for it. Only in VERY VERY rare and extreme circumstances should your total number of land dip below 19.

Alterloth is offline Uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by Kappu1 View Post
    if you buy a theme deck to build it up to something that may be okay I just prefer to build a more competative deck.
    That's pretty much what I was getting at. I like the way that theme decks are constructed. I don't go out and buy them a lot. Some of them I find to be complete pipe dreams. I find it pretty funny sometimes when they write all this awesome text on the box, in the fold-up, etc... in order to make it seem awesome and then it doesn't turn out to be...but, the only reason I brought up the theme deck idea was to tie it into a loose way of constructing any old deck...theme decks aren't really that competitive...you could start a whole other thread on that one...but that's why you build them up to something like you said...