+ Reply to Thread
    stevie is offline Uncommon

Default can you go over 20 life or does life stop at 20 magic faq

can you have more then 20 life? If not then what happens if you are at 19 life and you play a card that gives you 2 life?

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Default Re: can you go over 20 life or does life stop at 20 magic faq

You can gain an infinite amount of life.

seba1983 Guest

ahh since im answering some post even though im not actualy here i might as well be an ass and say thats not correct

you can not have infinite of anything in magic. whenever any effect could result in an infinite number of whatever you have to state a number how big it is. that number can be as big as you like but not infinite. ohh and it must be a whole natural number. mathematicans know ways hoe to say unbelivably big numbers so the are at an advantage there :P

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Just in case it comes up, there's no "lower cap" as well. If you have something like Platinum Angel out that'll stop you from losing at 0 or less, there's no limit to how low your life total can get.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

kip
    kip is offline Scarce

is it possible to have like five and a half life somehow?

Josh is offline Very Rare

Quote Originally Posted by kip View Post
    is it possible to have like five and a half life somehow?
    Read what Seba said above. It has to be a whole number. Not 5.5, not Pi, not COS(65.6x+332y+3)^2 whatever that is

seba1983 Guest

unless you play casual and allow silverbordered cards that is. since unhinged you can have 1/2 life (loss, gain or any other number e.g. power toughness etc.). that however applies to games where silverbordered is allowed only. since silver bordered is banned in all tournaments by default this can apply to casual only. even there it is generaly considered good manners to ask befor starting if everyone is ok with silver bordered since the interaction of silver bordered cards with non-silver bordered cards can be somewhat uber-powerful and some silverborderd effect might just spoil the fun of other players (e.g. haveing to play under the table).

here are some exsamples of cards that have / use fractions from unhinged:

Little Girl
    Supersize
    Save Life
    Fraction Jackson

stevie is offline Uncommon

if you lose when you get to 0 life then why dont they make it so that you win if you get to 40 life?

seba1983 Guest

even though lifegain is generaly not that good, makeing it a rout to victory now would make it insanely overpowered. good lifegain is a lot higher than damage because you can not win by it alone. a martyr of sands can easyly net you 12-15 life for 2 mana. imagin 12-15 damage for 2 mana ??? also it discureges interactivity in games. we both just try to gain as much life as we can whilst actualy both playing solitare seeing who finishes first ...

Adrian is offline Uncommon

You can play a Test of Endurance and win when you have 50 or more life

Twanos is offline Master Mason

Many many years ago I gained 10 million life then the next turn cast a fireball on my opponent for 15 million. He responded with Eye for an Eye.

Since then I always state a googolplex as the number for my lifegain and a googol for my number as damage.

In case you're wondering a googol is 10 to the 100th power or...

10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0 00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

A googolplex can't be written out as even a 1 point font it would be longer than the observable universe is across. A googolplex is a googol to the googolth power.

Misc. factoid... A googol is greater than the number of atoms in the observable universe, which has been variously estimated from 10 to the 79th power up to 10 to the 81st power.

kip
    kip is offline Scarce

how did u gain 10 million life?

kip
    kip is offline Scarce

also how did u fireball for 15 million

Twanos is offline Master Mason

Enduring Renewal + Ashnod's Altar + Ornithopter = infinite (you have to pick a number) mana.

Basically you sac the orni for 2 mana and renewal puts any creature that should go to the grave back to your hand so you redrop it for 0 and sac it for 2 more mana... repeat till you get to the number of your choice.

Then just use it on either a fireball for damage or alabaster potion for life. I used this deck back when Ice Age first came out. It was good as a tourny deck for a couple of weeks till people caught on and we started to enter Black Summer then it just turned into a fun casual deck.

On a side note as i know someone will point it out, there are several other ways to get "infinite" mana and several of them are better than this one, I just put this down as the one that I was using at the time.

seba1983 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Twanos View Post
    On a side note as i know someone will point it out, there are several other ways to get "infinite" mana and several of them are better than this one, I just put this down as the one that I was using at the time.
    since the questionwas how you gained 10 million life and deal 15 million damage i think your answer was perfectly valid. that was the way you did it ...

Pfff. I laugh at you, sir. I once gained over 80million life without the use of any infinite combos whatsoever.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

seba1983 Guest

did it involve the white becon ? if not what did it involve ? just because its not infinite does not mean its not some decent lifegain combo (martyr anyone ?). i can hardly see you hitting 80 million on the back of healing salves :P

No Beacons.

Just Boon Reflection, a couple of Soul Wardens, a Storm Herd or two, and a Serra Avatar enchanted with Spirit Link.

I do love my Lifestorm deck.
    Fluttershy is best pony.