+ Reply to Thread
    ElfDwarf is offline Common

Default if i block and sacrifice a trample creature do i take damage

if i block and sacrifice a trample creature do i take damage

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: if i block and sacrifice a trample creature do i take damage

If you block a creature with trample and then sacrifice the blocking creature? Yes, you will take all the damage from the attacking creature.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

NIKTER is offline Common

Isn't the creature still considered blocked so u take only trmpl dmg?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Yes. And since there's no blocker there, all the attacker's damage tramples over.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Piplup is offline Uncommon

well but who cares about trample if there is no blocker left anyway

Kenji is offline Scarce

The rules care, for one:

509.1h An attacking creature with one or more creatures declared as blockers for it becomes a blocked creature; one with no creatures declared as blockers for it becomes an unblocked creature. This remains unchanged until the creature is removed from combat, an effect says that it becomes blocked or unblocked, or the combat phase ends, whichever comes first. A creature remains blocked even if all the creatures blocking it are removed from combat.
    510.1c A blocked creature assigns its combat damage to the creatures blocking it. If no creatures are currently blocking it (if, for example, they were destroyed or removed from combat), it assigns no combat damage. If exactly one creature is blocking it, it assigns all its combat damage to that creature. If two or more creatures are blocking it, it assigns its combat damage to those creatures according to the damage assignment order announced for it. This may allow the blocked creature to divide its combat damage. However, it can’t assign combat damage to a creature that’s blocking it unless, when combat damage assignments are complete, each creature that precedes that blocking creature in its order is assigned lethal damage. When checking for assigned lethal damage, take into account damage already marked on the creature and damage from other creatures that’s being assigned during the same combat damage step, but not any abilities or effects that might change the amount of damage that’s actually dealt. An amount of damage that’s greater than a creature’s lethal damage may be assigned to it.
    The relevant portion is in bold text. If a blocked creature doesn't have trample and there are no creatures left blocking it, then it assigns no combat damage, just like the rule says. On the other hand, if a blocked creature does have trample and there are no creatures left blocking it, then it will assign all of its combat damage to the defending player.

702.18c If an attacking creature with trample is blocked, but there are no creatures blocking it when damage is assigned, all its damage is assigned to the player or planeswalker it’s attacking.