• 1 Post By Kenji

Thread: what if you run playing magic the gathering

Tebi2 is offline Common

Default what if you run playing magic the gathering

what if you run playing magic the gathering

Kenji is offline Scarce

Default Re: what if you run playing magic the gathering

Could this question be any less clear?

Are you asking, "what happens if I run away from my opponent while playing Magic: the Gathering?"

If so...nothing? I mean, if you're in a sanctioned tournament then obviously you'll be dropped from the match, and the tournament entirely if you don't return.

But, just in general? It's not illegal to quit from a card game in the middle of playing it, so as I said -- nothing happens.

If this isn't what you were asking, can you please clarify/ Because it's absolutely not clear what you meant to ask, so I've been left to take a wild guess. I suppose you could be asking "how do you run tournaments in Magic: the Gathering," but if that's the case, you worded it very poorly.

So, please clarify your statement, as "what if you run playing magic the gathering" doesn't actually make much sense.

DatAsh is offline Rare

Methinks this is simply a troll question.

Tebi2 is offline Common

I meant to write "run out of cards"

DatAsh is offline Rare

My mistake then. If you run out of cards in library then nothing happens until you draw a card. Then you lose. Please note you MUST draw a card at your draw step.

Kenji is offline Scarce

Okay, that's much more clear. So, here are your answers:

If you run out of cards in your hand, nothing happens. You're simply out of cards in your hand until and unless a spell or ability instructs you to draw more cards. This is why card-drawing effects are so highly valued -- because if you run out of cards, you run out of options.

However, if you're instructed to draw cards and your library is empty, you'll lose the game almost immediately after the effect causing you to draw is finished resolving. You'll lose if forced to draw a card from an empty library for any reason: because it's your draw step (drawing a card is mandatory here), because of a card like Windfall being used against you, and so on.