+ Reply to Thread
    yoyo is offline Uncommon

Default is a planeswalker considered a creature in mtg

is a planeswalker considered a creature in magic?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: is a planeswalker considered a creature in mtg

No. Because...well...it isn't.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Alterloth is offline Uncommon

A Planeswalker is considered an extra player on your side...you can get rid of it with direct damage...for example "I'm going to Fireball Jace for 5"...done and done...OR...destroy all permanents cards...oh...there's that Parasite MTG card that is -1/-1 and whenever it does damage you may remove a counter from target permanent...pump it up OR make it unblockable and it can remove a counter from the Planeswalker everytime if you like...or put 4xRelentless Assault in with the Parasite and make it attack multiple times...man, there are so many other ways to get rid of Planeswalkers...

seba1983 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alterloth View Post
    "I'm going to Fireball Jace for 5"
    even though im sure you ment the right thing your formulation sounds a lot like your targeting jace with that fireball. that is not correct though. you still target the player who controls jace not jace. you can then choose to deal the damage to jace instead. if you opponent controls a True Believer for instance you can not fireball his walker ...

@seba1983: MTG rules state that a Planeswalker is another player on your battlefield. A card like Fireball states that it does X damage to target creature or player. Jace is another player on your opponents battlefield. Therefore, if you say "I am going to Fireball Jace, your other player playing with you, for five damage, then it does five damage to Jace and would remove five counters off of Jace and then take Jace off of the battlefield. And no, True Believer would not work. Your opponent has shroud. Jace does not have shroud because Jace is another player on the battlefield. Once again, I will remind you that when you have a Planeswalker out, you have TWO players on the battlefield. When you cast a True Believer, you can only shroud yourself. You cannot shroud the Planeswalker. The Planeswalker is not you.

seba1983 Guest

this is what the rules say:

306. Planeswalkers

306.1. A player who has priority may cast a planeswalker card from his or her hand during a main phase of his or her turn when the stack is empty. Casting a planeswalker as a spell uses the stack. (See rule 601, "Casting Spells.")

306.2. When a planeswalker spell resolves, its controller puts it onto the battlefield under his or her control.

306.3. Planeswalker subtypes are always a single word and are listed after a long dash: "Planeswalker -- Jace." Each word after the dash is a separate subtype. Planeswalker subtypes are also called planeswalker types. Planeswalkers may have multiple subtypes. See rule 204.3i for the complete list of planeswalker types.

306.4. If two or more planeswalkers that share a planeswalker type are on the battlefield, all are put into their owners' graveyards as a state-based action. This is called the "planeswalker uniqueness rule." See rule 704.

306.5. Loyalty is a characteristic only planeswalkers have.

306.5a The loyalty of a planeswalker not on the battlefield is equal to the number printed in its lower right corner.

306.5b A planeswalker is treated as if its text box included, "This permanent enters the battlefield with a number of loyalty counters on it equal to its printed loyalty number." This ability creates a replacement effect (see rule 614.1c).

306.5c The loyalty of a planeswalker on the battlefield is equal to the number of loyalty counters on it.

306.5d Each planeswalker has a number of loyalty abilities, which are activated abilities with loyalty symbols in their costs. Loyalty abilities follow special rules: A player may activate a loyalty ability of a permanent he or she controls any time he or she has priority and the stack is empty during a main phase of his or her turn, but only if none of that permanent's loyalty abilities have been activated that turn. See rule 606, "Loyalty Abilities."
    306.6. Planeswalkers can be attacked. (See rule 508, "Declare Attackers Step.")

306.7. If noncombat damage would be dealt to a player by a source controlled by an opponent, that opponent may have that source deal that damage to a planeswalker the first player controls instead. This is a redirection effect (see rule 614.9) and is subject to the normal rules for ordering replacement effects (see rule 616). The opponent chooses whether to redirect the damage as the redirection effect is applied.

306.8. Damage dealt to a planeswalker results in that many loyalty counters being removed from it.

306.9. If a planeswalker's loyalty is 0, it's put into its owner's graveyard as a state-based action. See rule 704.

i rest my case ...

Yeah, I think I'll print out those rules because I play with people who use Planeswalkers a lot (so do I) but they are pretty reckless with the rules and basically make up whatever they want and whine a lot...its still considered another player though isn't it?

Kappu1 is offline Scarce

Okay in essence a planeswalker is another player but the only way you can Fireball him is to attack your opponent and the declare you are redirecting the damage to the planeswalker.

If your attacking with creatures you can choose to attck the planeswalker or the player. The reason this is, is because it is combat damage.

At least that is how it was explained to me here and at my local Meta.

@Kappu: Thanks dude...that will clear up a lot of arguments when I play with my friends tomorrow...they all seem to think that once a Planeswalker is out, there is hardly anything that will stop it...and they won't stop a game to look up rules either...

Planeswalkers are never considered to be players. I tried getting my opponent's Liliana Vess to split a Fact or Fiction once. We were waiting for a while.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Mtgfanatic is offline Very Common

Planeswalkers are not considered a creature or an additional player by your side. They are PERMANENTS

Mtgfanatic is offline Very Common

lol XD^^^^ just proves our point. The only way you can do much to a planeswalker is if the card (instant sorcery enchantment) says specificallydo this or do that to TARGET PERMANENT. Those words exactly

...why necro a nearly nine month old thread to repeat the exact answer that was already given?
    Fluttershy is best pony.