+ Reply to Thread
    Inside is offline Common

Default Jackal Pup does "you" mean opponent or does it mean whichever player is causing dmg?

I control Jackal Pup which says:
    Whenever Jackal Pup is dealt damage, it deals that much damage to you.

does "you" mean the opponent or does it mean whoever is causing the damage? like can I cause damage to my own jackal pup in order to deal damage to other player?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: Jackal Pup does "you" mean opponent or does it mean whichever player is causing d

No, it refers to the controller of the Pup. The word "you" always refers to the controller of the permanent or ability.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Inside is offline Common

Default Re: Jackal Pup does "you" mean opponent or does it mean whichever player is causing d

I think you got it wrong because its MY creature? why would it always deal damage to me? nobody would want to cast it if thats were the case

On the contrary, Jackal Pup was once one of the most popular creatures out there.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Inside is offline Common

how come it was so popular if it always deals damage to whoever controls it when it takes damage?

I think you're falling into the same trap a lot of newer players do - overvaluing life. Tell me something -
    1. Do you block a 3/3 creature while you're on 20 life?
    2. Do you think Yawgmoth's Bargain is a bad card?
    3. Do you prefer Shivan Oasis to Karplusan Forest?
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Inside is offline Common

Quote Originally Posted by Arix View Post
    I think you're falling into the same trap a lot of newer players do - overvaluing life. Tell me something -
    1. Do you block a 3/3 creature while you're on 20 life?
    2. Do you think Yawgmoth's Bargain is a bad card?
    3. Do you prefer Shivan Oasis to Karplusan Forest?
    1) yeah usually
    2) its good if you have lots of life like 40 life
    3) yeah shivan oasis has no penalty

I figured as much. The thing is, you shouldn't see life as something to be hoarded and protected, but as a resource. After all, it doesn't matter whether you win on 1 life or 100 life.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

kartiv is offline Uncommon

if a 10/1 creature attacks and jackal pup blocks would player controlling jackal pup takes 10 or 1 damage?

If 10 damage is assigned (and dealt) to the Pup, 10 damage.

what if the 10/1 creature has trample

Same as my previous answer. If you assign 10 damage to the Pup and 10 damage is dealt to it, 10. Trample just allows you to assign 1 damage (lethal damage for Pup) before assigning damage elsewhere.

so does he take double damage?

I don't get where you're pulling double damage from.

1 to 10 damage from the 10/1 trample will be assigned to the Pup. After lethal damage has been assigned to the Pup, the remaining (assuming no other blockers than Pup) can be assigned to either defending player or Pup.

After damage is dealt, however much damage was dealt to the Pup will be dealt to it's controller when the Pup's ability resolves.

10 damage is 10 damage.