+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Arix

Thread: activate ability of Deathmark Prelate with no sorceries in my hand?

Venusaur is offline Common

Default activate ability of Deathmark Prelate with no sorceries in my hand?

is it ok to use ability of a Deathmark Prelate if i have no sorceries in my hand?

Jake1991 is offline Scarce

Default Re: activate ability of Deathmark Prelate with no sorceries in my hand?

Deathmark Prelate's ability states "Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery". This means you can only activate it during your turn, during the Main Phase, and when the stack is empty. Just like casting a sorcery. You don't need anything special in your hand to activate this ability.

because if i dont have sorcery in my hand i cant cast sorcery so u sure its ok to activate the power?

maybe u can show quote from rulebook

This ability has nothing to do with casting a sorcery.

The phrase, "Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery", only restricts when you are allowed to activate this ability, which would be during your turn while the stack is empty.

You don't need anything in your hand for this ability.

yeah thats what someone else told me too

but the card still says
    Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery

and if i dont have sorcery in hand then obviously its not a time that i can cast sorcery since i cant cast sorcery

thats why was wondering if there is ruling from rulebook or judge on it

otherwise i need to put more sorceries in my deck

"Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery"

"Any time you could" basically means "Any time you're allowed".

You don't need a sorcery in your hand at all.

Arix is offline Merrymaker

"Any time you could cast a sorcery" is just a timing restriction that means only during your main phase while the stack is empty.
    602.5d. Activated abilities that read "Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery" mean the player must follow the timing rules for casting a sorcery spell, though the ability isn't actually a sorcery. The player doesn't actually need to have a sorcery card that he or she could cast.
    Fluttershy is best pony.