+ Reply to Thread
    planeswalker is offline Common

Default in mtg can you counter a counterspell

can u counter a counterspell in magic?

Arix is offline Merrymaker

Default Re: in mtg can you counter a counterspell

Yup. Counterspells are just like any other spell - they use the stack, have to wait to resolve, and can be responded to.
    Fluttershy is best pony.

seba1983 Guest

totaly correct. i just dont like the word "responded". i know its normal magic-player-talk. in my oppinion it shouldn't be however. you dont actualy ever respond in magic. you only act when you have priority. not critecicing you useing the word. magic players use it all the time. its just that the concept of responding digs itself into the heads of new players and makes it much harder for them to comprehend the fine workings of priority later.

Not really. That's how I was taught way back when, and I'm an accomplished judge now. It's not just regular Magic-talk, it actually has its own entry in the comp. rules:
    Respond
    To cast an instant spell or activate an ability while another spell or ability is already on the stack. See rule 115.7.
    115.7. If a player with priority casts an instant spell or activates an activated ability while another spell or ability is already on the stack, the new spell or ability has been cast or activated “in response to” the earlier spell or ability. The new spell or ability will resolve first. See rule 607, “Resolving Spells and Abilities.”
    Fluttershy is best pony.

seba1983 Guest

ohh well in that case i will have to extende my point by saying i feel wizards too pick a formulation that leads to much confusement for new players.

if seen it so many times. new players learn they can "respond" to, lets just generalise and say stuff, in magic. what they make of its quite a lot of time is that they can do stuff because the other player has done something. now the diffrence to how priority actualy works is not that grand since in most situation both concepts are identical.

haveing spend over an hour of my life (i like argue ok i admit ^^) agrueing with someone that he can not "respond" to someone playing a land kind of ruind the word for me.

again i never said that it is wrong to say respond to describe such situation (though i did not know wizards actualy use it themselfes). i just dont think its the best word considering how the rules work on a finer level.

Fair enough - I've just never run into any such situation, so...yeah.
    Fluttershy is best pony.