+ Reply to Thread
    rickcaron2008 is offline Uncommon
    Blog Entries

Default 1927 Imperial #2 Rolls Razor Nickel Plated

1927 Imperial #2 Rolls Razor Nickel Plated
    RICHARDS RAZORS; MAKE ME AN OFFER I CAN'T REFUSE!

This item is in very good+ vintage condition as can be seen in the pictures. The box has a bit of
    vintage ware on the outside, the inside of the box is in great condition. The item is fully
    complete, it comes complete with the original instructions, the blade is in fantastic condition as
    is the hone and the strop. With no breakage. The razor case has an identifying number on the side
    which is A709642. Rolls Razor Limited was a British company known for its manufacture of a
    sophisticated safety-razor and an "affordable" twin-tub washing machine.

The eponymous product was a sophisticated safety-razor which came in a metal box designed to allow
    the blade to be stropped against the lid and thus was not disposable, but unlike the straight razor
    it incorporated a safety guard and its size was closer to the early Gillette double blade disposable
    razor. The company wilted in the face of competition from the likes of Gillette.

The Rolls trademark, "The Whetter," was registered in the U.S. in 1950; the claimed first use was
    1922. The U.S. patent for the method of attaching the blade to the handle was filed in 1925 and
    issued in 1930. The name "Rolls Razor (1927) Ltd." was used in advertising.

It seems that no one could bear to throw away a Rolls Razor. That must be why there are so many
    still around. Though not made by the Rolls-Royce company, the name was undoubtedly chosen to evoke
    the "Rolls" image of luxury and quality. The factory address was 255 Cricklewood Broadway, London,
    N. W. 2, with showrooms located at 197a, Regent St., London, W.1. A U.S. importer was Lee & Schiffer,
    East 44th St., New York City. By 1937 the U.S. distributor was Rolls Razor, Inc., 305 East 45th St.,
    New York.

Rolls Razors, Ltd, made several models with variations based solely on casing material, finish and
    shape. The earliest models have a pebble-finish metal case. The nickel plated Imperial No. 2 is the
    most common along with the silver-plated Imperial which was packaged with a hard leatherette storage
    box. During World War II, the case was made all Aluminum. Older razors, pre-1930, do not have a Greek
    key pattern on the case. A gold-plated case was made before 1930, but is very rare. The two main
    shape variations were the “standard” Imperial which had a flat boxy shape with rounded corners and
    the Viscount which had a softer profile with shaped sides and rounded corners.

The case design evolved to a pattern of parallel zig-zag lines. Later razors have a 3-row Greek
    key design and with the "The Whetter" trademark near the end of the case. These cases measure 2-3/4
    x 6 inches. The Viscount case design has a single Greek key ro great w. The corners of the case are more
    rounded (about a 5/8-inch radius) than previous Rolls. The case dimensions are 2-7/8 x 6-1/4 inches.

By 1951 Rolls was also advertising the Viceroy Electric Dry shaver, or, the ad said, if you have
    "no electricity ... ask for the Viceroy non-electric mechanical dry shaver" ...Press the lever and
    shave!" The mechanical version was operated by repeatedly squeezing a lever on the handle.
    The Rolls Razor was successful enough that it had a similar British competitor, The Darwin, made
    by Darwins Ltd. (or Darwin, Ltd.; both spellings were used), Fitzwilliam Works, Sheffield, England.

PRICE $65.00 OBO
    SHIPPING FREE CONTINENTAL USA

iOffer Stores - RICHARDS RAZORS

RICHARDS RAZORS at Bonanza - Collectibles, Safety Razors, Art

I BUY AND SELL VINTAGE SAFETY RAZORS, BLADES, MATCHBOX HOLDERS, LIGHTERS,COLLECTIBLE, VINTAGE, RAZOR, SHAVING, ANTIQUE CUFFLINKS, MEN, VINTAGE, TIETACK COINS, SILVER, DOLLAR, MORGAN, USA ACRYLIC,PAINTING, ORIGINAL, SIGNED, ART, EXPRESSIONISM, CANVAS

RICHARDSRAZORS's online store - InstantFinder.com

PAYPAL ONLY
    INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING COST: DEPENDS WHERE BUYER IS LOCATED.
    INTERNATIONAL BUYERS: I WILL NOT ALTER SELLING OR SHIPPING PRICE OR MARK AS A GIFT, I SHIP ONLY
    USPS MAIL OUTSIDE OF U.S.A.
    INSURANCE IS AT THE DISCRETION OF THE BUYER.

Terms of Sale:
    When I describe an object as 'VINTAGE' or 'ANTIQUE' they will have the typical wear and tear you
    would expect with an older piece. Light scratches, scuffing & crazing and such like would be
    expected as opposed to a NEW condition. If an item is in MINT condition I will say so. If an item
    has any major issues - dents, deep marks, stains or heavy scratches etc. I will bring these to your
    attention in my description. All sales final.