+ Reply to Thread
    rickcaron2008 is offline Uncommon
    Blog Entries

Default Vintage EXCELLO manicure/vanity set

Vintage EXCELLO manicure/vanity set
    RICHARDS RAZORS; MAKE ME AN OFFER I CAN'T REFUSE!

Here we have a Vintage "EXCELLO" manicure/vanity set dated from the early 1900s.
    It appears to have been made in my estimation in 1900-30, it is somewhat half-moon
    shaped 12 inches or so across the front and about 8 inches in the back and possibly
    10 inches deep, the case is hinged in the back and has two hinged devices on the
    front to keep the case closed the hinges are in excellent working condition and
    open and close properly as do the hinges in the back.

The outside of the case has some vintage ware but everything is in place and works correctly.
    The inside contains fingernail tools and also a button hook + nail buffer, a shoehorn,
    two containers one large one small, the small container is missing the screw on bottom,
    the inside is covered with pink–ish pleated material, on the top of the case (inside back,)
    there is a small round mirror.

As can be seen in the pictures there is a small banner that reads "IVORTONE" on a
    small banner in the bottom left-hand corner. The handles of the fingernail tools and
    the containers are made out of what looks to be celluloid or bakealite. This item is
    in magnificent condition for its age.

PRICE $250.00 OBO
    SHIPPING FREE CONTINENTAL USA

iOffer Stores - RICHARDS RAZORS
    RICHARDS RAZORS at Bonanza - Collectibles, Safety Razors, Pain...
    I BUY AND SELL VINTAGE SAFETY RAZORS, BLADES, MATCHBOX HOLDERS, LIGHTERS,COLLECTIBLE, VINTAGE, RAZOR, SHAVING, ANTIQUE CUFFLINKS, MEN, VINTAGE, TIETACK COINS, SILVER, DOLLAR, MORGAN, USA ACRYLIC,PAINTING, ORIGINAL, SIGNED, ART, EXPRESSIONISM, CANVAS
    RICHARDSRAZORS's online store - InstantFinder.com

PAYPAL ONLY
    INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING COST: DEPENDS WHERE BUYER IS LOCATED.
    INTERNATIONAL BUYERS: I WILL NOT ALTER SELLING OR SHIPPING PRICE OR MARK AS A GIFT, I SHIP ONLY
    USPS MAIL OUTSIDE OF U.S.A.
    INSURANCE IS AT THE DISCRETION OF THE BUYER.

Terms of Sale:
    When I describe an object as 'VINTAGE' or 'ANTIQUE' they will have the typical wear and tear you
    would expect with an older piece. Light scratches, scuffing & crazing and such like would be
    expected as opposed to a NEW condition. If an item is in MINT condition I will say so. If an item
    has any major issues - dents, deep marks, stains or heavy scratches etc. I will bring these to your
    attention in my description. All sales final.

History of Bakelite:

Dr. Baekeland had originally set out to find a replacement for shellac, made from the
    excretion of lac beetles. Chemists had begun to recognize that many natural resins and
    fibres were polymers, and Baekeland investigated the reactions of phenol and
    formaldehyde. He first produced a soluble phenol-formaldehyde shellac called "Novolak"
    that never became a market success, then turned to developing a binder for asbestos
    which, at that time, was molded with rubber. By controlling the pressure and temperature
    applied to phenol and formaldehyde, he produced a hard moldable material and patented
    in 1907 known as Bakelite.[2][3] It was the very first synthetic thermosetting plastic
    ever made. It was often referred to as "the material of 1000 uses", a phrase originated
    by Baekeland himself.[4] He announced the invention at a meeting of the American Chemical
    Society on February 5, 1909.[5]

The Bakelite Corporation was formed in 1922 (after patent litigation favorable to
    Baekeland) from a merger of three companies: the General Bakelite Company which
    Baekeland founded in 1910, the Condensite Company, founded by J.W. Aylesworth, and the
    Redmanol Chemical Products Company, founded by L.V. Redman.[6] A factory was built
    near Bound Brook, New Jersey in 1929.[7]

Bakelite Limited, a merger of three phenol formaldehyde resin suppliers (Damard Lacquer
    Company Limited of Birmingham; Mouldensite Limited of Darley Dale and Redmanol Chemical
    Products Company of London) was formed in 1926. A new factory opened in Tyseley,
    Birmingham, England around 1928 and was subsequently demolished in 1998.

In 1939 the companies were acquired by Union Carbide and Carbon Corporation. Union Carbide's phenolic resin business including the Bakelite and Bakelit registered trademarks are owned by Momentive Specialty Chemicals.
    Attached Images