+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Sandy is offline Uncommon

Default My car was hit in grocery store parking lot. No Note left.

I was coming out of safeway and was about to load the grocery into my car and I noticed a dent which wasnt there before. Someone had hit my car, and didnt leave a note or anything.

Not major damage but probably a few hundred dollars of body work. What can I do?

Motor is offline Moderator

Default Re: My car was hit in grocery store parking lot. No Note left.

I know the feeling, happened to me once to, and these things happen a lot every day. The right (and legal) thing to do is to leave a note with your information when you cause car damage, but many just "hit and run" instead.

If you have no idea who hit you and there are no witnesses there's not much that can be done. File a police report and an insurance claim (be prepared to pay some sort of deductible)

Sean is offline Uncommon

In most states it is a misdemeanor to not leave a note after causing an accident with property damage (or a felony if somoene was injured)

Though if there's only some minor damage to your can and noone saw who did it, I dont think the police can do much they probably have more important things to deal with

Luke is offline Uncommon

Might be a long shot, but you could try checking if the grocery store had any cameras pointing to the parking lot when that happened.

Then you could ask the store manager if you could look at the footage and/or pass the ifnormation to the detectives assigned to your case.

Pezman is offline Uncommon

Default car hit in parking lot

Same thing happened to me 2 years ago. Car hit in parking lot, no note left.

Cost me almost $1000 to repair the body damage. It's very upsetting when something like this happens.

I know that if I accidentally hit someones car in a parking lot I would leave a note. I mean thats what insurance is for.

kd8226 is offline Very Common

Default Re: My car was hit in grocery store parking garage. No Note was left.

Today I hit a car in parking garage i dont know if i did damage. But I kinda panicked and left. Not sure if anyone saw me. But now I read here its a misdiminor and I'm afaid someone saw me and I will go to jail can that happen? What can I do please help

Sean is offline Uncommon

Default Re: hit car left no note

Quote Originally Posted by kd8226 View Post
    Today I hit a car in parking garage i dont know if i did damage. But I kinda panicked and left. Not sure if anyone saw me. But now I read here its a misdiminor and I'm afaid someone saw me and I will go to jail can that happen? What can I do please help
    You made a mistake by not leaving in your details, but dont panic. You can try calling the parking garage see if anyone has reported any damage to their car, or you can report this to the police.

Otherwise you are basically taking a chance... if you did do damage and if someone did see you, you might be in trouble... how hard did you hit that other car?

driver is offline Common

Default Re: what should I do if my car was hit and theres no note

My car was hit also and there's no note what do I do

eliphas0 is offline Uncommon

My car was hit also and there's no note what do I do
    You read the previous posts in this thread.

driver is offline Common

Default Re: someone damaged my car in car park left no details can I claim on Insurance?

Sandy, have you tried claiming insurance on the damages? What did the insurance company say?

Sandy is offline Uncommon

Default Re: car hit in parking lot insurance

Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    Sandy, have you tried claiming insurance on the damages? What did the insurance company say?
    Driver: I did not report this to my insurance company since I did not want my premium to go up. Not sure if it was the best decision but maybe it depends on what kind of collision insurance you have.

Cost me about $650 to repair the damage, still a bit upset about the whole story.

driver is offline Common

Default Re: parking lot damage police report

Did you file a police report? Did the police do anything?

no note left is offline Very Common

Default Re: my car got hit in a parking lot how to file police report

Unfortunately I had the same experience today.

Damage to side of the car (They somehow backed into side of car?). No note and noone saw anything. This happened at a bowling alley. I called them but they say the security cameras that were pointing at the parking lot were not working.

And I did not see the damage until I arrived home (since the parking lot was dark or maybe because I came in from the other side).

How do you file a police report? Do I need to go back to where it happened and call the police from there? Or can I just go to any police station?? Please help!

Sean is offline Uncommon

Default Re: my car got hit in parking lot how do I file police report

Quote Originally Posted by no note left View Post
    Unfortunately I had the same experience today.

Damage to side of the car (They somehow backed into side of car?). No note and noone saw anything. This happened at a bowling alley. I called them but they say the security cameras that were pointing at the parking lot were not working.

And I did not see the damage until I arrived home (since the parking lot was dark or maybe because I came in from the other side).

How do you file a police report? Do I need to go back to where it happened and call the police from there? Or can I just go to any police station?? Please help!
    I'm thinking the best thing would have been to call them from the scene of the accident (The Bowling Alley). But since you did not become aware of the damage until you got home, you should just go to the police station and file a hit and run police report.

special is offline Very Common

Default Re: i dont know if i hit a car or not but left

I need help deciding what to do, I dont know if i hit a car or not I was backing out of an office building and there was a noise and I think I hit a car but I'm not sure I just panicked and drove away dont know if there's a security camera there what can I do should

(sorry if it is double post but first time I posted it didnt work )

Sean is offline Uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by special View Post
    I need help deciding what to do, I dont know if i hit a car or not I was backing out of an office building and there was a noise and I think I hit a car but I'm not sure I just panicked and drove away dont know if there's a security camera there what can I do should

(sorry if it is double post but first time I posted it didnt work )
    Posts seems to be working fine, maybe you didn't hit on "Submit reply" and it didnt get posted.

Anyway as for your matter, I would suggest either calling the office building yourself to see if anyone has complained, and calling the police to report this (I think less consequences if you report it yourself rather then have them catch you)

special is offline Very Common

Got the message from the moderator, sorry for my last post I did not mean to sound like a criminal, just trying to find out what to do. I was backing out of a parking space in an office building parking lot and I heard a noise I think I hit a car but not sure and maybe there are security cameras there but I made a mistake and drove away quickly didnt mean to now I am not sure what to do dont think I can sleep at night should I turn myself in to the police I dont want to go to jail, if I myself go to the police and say I hit a car will they put me in jail or will they just give me a fine also how high would the fine be I lost my job recently and cannot afford to pay a high fine I also can't afford a lawyer HELP

eliphas0 is offline Uncommon

No worries Special,

I would think it depends on what state this took place in.

Here in FL if you leave the scene. As in you move out of the parking lot not just park the car in a parking spot.
    It is considered a Hit & Run.

To be honest your greatest concern should be if there was someone in the car that may have been injured.

If you are in FL this may help Hit And Run Involving Parked Car In Florida

corby is offline Trivia Master

Default Re: i dont know if i hit car or not but left without leaving note or details

Quote Originally Posted by special View Post
    Got the message from the moderator, sorry for my last post I did not mean to sound like a criminal, just trying to find out what to do. I was backing out of a parking space in an office building parking lot and I heard a noise I think I hit a car but not sure and maybe there are security cameras there but I made a mistake and drove away quickly didnt mean to now I am not sure what to do dont think I can sleep at night should I turn myself in to the police I dont want to go to jail, if I myself go to the police and say I hit a car will they put me in jail or will they just give me a fine also how high would the fine be I lost my job recently and cannot afford to pay a high fine I also can't afford a lawyer HELP
    First off, you have to relax a bit From the sounds of it you just backed into some parked car in the parking lot, it's not like you commited a murder. You obvioulsy are very worried, so I'd just go the police and tell them what happened, exactly what you said here. Maybe you'' get lucky and the owner of the other vehicle will not be found so there will be no reason to press charges. And even if the owner of the vehicle does file a complaint then they wont go hard on you because you yourself came to the police rather then having them catch you. And I don't think you'll end up in jail if its your first time unless you have some criminal record or something)

(BY the way I am not a lawyer so dont take any of this as legal advice)

Good luck!

Pinto is offline Very Common

Default my car was hit in parking lot and after few days I found out who had hit. can I claim

My car was hit in parking lot and after few days I found out who had hit it. can I claim anything?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast