+ Reply to Thread
    Patrick is offline Common

Default cleaning duplicate files in xp

Is there a way to clean up duplicate files in windows xp? I have many files that I've copied from one place to another and are now taking space on my hard drive and I'm running outta space

eliphas0 is offline Uncommon

Default Re: cleaning duplicate files in xp

Well you can manually browse through the Documents & Settings folders looking for each one. This is actually a good idea "IF" you know what you are doing, you will find alot of orphaned files left over from previously uninstalled files.

2 Programs one is free one has a free trial. CCleaner this will take care of the majority of junk files.

and System Mechanic I've used alot of the AIO Tool Sets over the years and IOLO's System Mechanic is the best IMHO, it has a tool Specifically for finding Duplicate files, just let it run (it will take a while).

Also you may want to deleted your old and unneed Systerm Restor Points, they can add up.

Patrick is offline Common

ok I'll check those out, thanks

eliphas0 is offline Uncommon

Not a problem, Let me know if you have more questions.

AllanIsKing is offline Very Common

Hi Patrick

I use Directory Report http://www.file-utilities.com to find duplicates of any type. You can search your entire C drive or a single folder. To be safe I would exclude the "\windows" and "\program files" folders