+ Reply to Thread
    Sandy is offline Uncommon

Default Property tax reassessment

Hello

I live in California and I received a letter from the Assessor's office offering me a property tax reassessment because of the decline in the market value of my property. The letter says I can save about $2,000 annually in property taxes after the reassesment. The fee for this is $179.

My question is, does anybody know if the assessor can decide that my property actually increased in value and raise the property tax? I do not want to risk having to pay a higher tax.

Please advise soon. If I don't send the application by the 6th of April I have to pay a late fee of $30

Thanks for any advice

Sean is offline Uncommon

Default Re: Property tax reassessment

The letter you are holding is most likely not from the assessor's office or any other governemt agency, but rather from a private company trying to charge you money for an application that you can file yourself for free.

See the Warning from the Los Angeles County Assessor's Office:

Is My Property Being Reviewed for a Decline-in-Value?
    Various private companies are sending mailings to property owners offering their services to pursue a reduction in their property taxes. These companies may charge hundreds of dollars to file for a reduction in value on behalf of the property owner. Some companies are even imposing late fees if the application is received after an arbitrary deadline. Be aware that solicitations from private companies offering to pursue a reduction in property taxes must clearly indicate that they are NOT a government agency and that their services are NOT approved or endorsed by any government agency. Failure to provide such notice is a violation of California law. If you or someone you know receives an illegal solicitation, please contact the Los Angeles County Department of Consumer Affairs by phone at (800) 973-3370 or visit their website.

Property owners receiving legal solicitations from private companies that properly identify themselves as not being a governmental agency should be aware that their property may be included in a review the Assessor’s Office will be doing in 2009. Over 500,000 single family houses and condos that were purchased between July 2003 and June 2008 will be reviewed. In some areas, earlier purchases will be looked at. After April 1st, owners will be able to check this website to see if their home is part of the review.

There is no reason to pay for a review that will be done for free.

All 500,000 owners whose homes are reviewed will receive a letter by the end of June notifying them of the results. Owners who disagree with the results of the review or were not included in the review, may file an application through December 31. The Decline-In-Value form is simple to complete and readily available online or at one of the Assessor's District Offices. We will review the application and if a reduction is warranted, the taxable value will be reduced. Please note that there is no charge for a review. Owners are urged to wait until July to decide whether to file an application.

Oh thanks for the heads up.

The letter does look really official I was about to send the $179 on Monday. I'm glad I checked in this forum first.

Kelly is offline Uncommon

I found this post through Google.

I also got the letter and I thought it was from the city and I sent them $179. How can I get my money back

Matt is offline Uncommon

I received this letter twice. I almost fell for it. That arbitrary "late fee" they put in there is very convincing. Also they make it look like an official city document. I cant help wonder how many people sent them money believing they were a municipal agency...

Lion is offline Uncommon

I also got this letter and was about to pay

I'm glad I found this site

Luke is offline Uncommon

The San Diego District Attorney posted a similar warning:

Property Tax Reassessment Scam

Citizens have recently reported receiving official-looking forms by mail with the County Assessor's ID No. and the address of their real property along with the current assessed value. The notice indicates that the property is currently "over-assessed" and that a request for tax reassessment has not yet been filed. The form states that for a "processing fee," paid by a "due date," the citizen's property can be "reassessed." The letter also states that, if the fee is not received by the due date, a "late fee" will be applied. The form looks official, and includes a green return envelope to mail in the money. The envelopment returns to a P.O. Box in Los Angeles. Be advised, our County Assessor's office is located at the County Administration Building on Pacific Coast Highway and any real-property owner can request a reassessment through that agency without charge. For more information, please contact the District Attorney's Consumer Fraud Hotline at 619-531-3507.

Luke is offline Uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
    I found this post through Google.

I also got the letter and I thought it was from the city and I sent them $179. How can I get my money back
    I suggest contacting that company asking for your money back, and if they refuse then you should contact your local District Attorney's department

I can't imagine how much money these companies scam out of unsuspecting citizens. Just think of senior citizens for example whom are likely not to understand that those letters are from private companies... I wonder how many thousands or millions of dollars are getting stolen here...

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I suggest contacting that company asking for your money back, and if they refuse then you should contact your local District Attorney's department
    I'll try that... thanks for the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I can't imagine how much money these companies scam out of unsuspecting citizens. Just think of senior citizens for example whom are likely not to understand that those letters are from private companies... I wonder how many thousands or millions of dollars are getting stolen here...
    Definetly.

I'm not a senior citizen. And I'd like to think (or at least thought so until now...) that I am aware of all the scams going on. Like the lottery scams, nigerian scams, phishing scams. I've always told myself that they'd never get me.

But those property tax reassessment letters looked very official and caught me totally off guard. And especially with the economic situation.

$179 is a lot for me I hope i'll get it back

Sean is offline Uncommon

Here is the link to the article by the Consumerist. There's a scan there of the letter. Scary to see how official it looks

Junk Mail: 'Property Tax Reassessment' Company Sends Junk Mail Disguised As Tax Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Here is the link to the article by the Consumerist. There's a scan there of the letter. Scary to see how official it looks

Junk Mail: 'Property Tax Reassessment' Company Sends Junk Mail Disguised As Tax Doc
    Yes the letter in that link looks exactly like the one I got!

Me too

Matt is offline Uncommon

Scary

My suggestion would be to spread the word. Tell everyone you know to be careful not to fall for this. This is exactly what the internet, and forums and communities such as this one are for.

Matt is offline Uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Scary

My suggestion would be to spread the word. Tell everyone you know to be careful not to fall for this. This is exactly what the internet, and forums and communities such as this one are for.
    Agreed.

I will be warning all my relatives and friends about this.

Steve70 is offline Uncommon

I fell for the Los Angeles property tax reassessment scam