+ Reply to Thread
    Samurai is offline Very Common

Default Anyone aware of any Best Buy gift card scams going on?

I was in Best Buy today, needed to buy a Blu-Ray DVD player. Anyway I found one I wanted from the special weekly deals, for about $110. As I was looking at it deciding if to buy it or not, someone approached me saying he had a Best buy gift card worth around $110 and wanted to get cash for it and he would sell me the gift card for $80. (That's $30 savings)

So I've been reading about different scams all the time like the van scam with the speakers for example, so I assumed it was some sort of scam and told him "no thanks". He kept trying to talk me into doing this deal, he said he would go with me to the cashier and I'll only pay him after the gift card clears. He showed me the gift card which was this yellow card with he best buy logo on it and "Store Credit" written in one of the corners.

I told him I don't have $80 on me in cash (I really didnt btw, didnt just tell him so that he leaves). He suggested we go to a nearby ATM and I can withdraw (Which also sounds suspicious, maybe he wanted to rob me? Though it was clear daylight and it was an area with lots of people so dont know)

Anyway I said again "No thanks" and he finally left (Probably to go ask other people)

So I'm wondering if anyone know some scam going on with these best buy gift cards? Obviously the card he held had cover since he told me I would pay him only after I payed at the cashier. And I don't think he was planning on robbing me since it was broad daylight in a crowded area, plus he couldnt know in the first place that I did not have $80 on me.

$30 would have been a lot of money for me to save, so am wondering if I should just have gone through with this or does this sound like a scam to anyone?
    Last edited by Samurai; 10-26-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Sean is offline Uncommon

Default Re: Anyone aware of any Best Buy gift card scams going on?

Don't know if it's a scam or not, but if you felt uneasy about doing that deal then you certainly did good to refuse it.

Kelly is offline Uncommon

Does sound suspicious, maybe you coul've alerted the police or store security so that he doesn't scam other people there

Samurai is offline Very Common

Maybe... but like I said I didnt know for sure it was a scam. Couldve been just someone wanting to sell his gift card for money because he had no use for it, and don't think there is a law against this.