+ Reply to Thread
    eliphas0 is offline Uncommon

Default Tech Tip "Server Updgrade"

Spam About Server Upgrade
    Posted: 14 Oct 2009 08:21 PM PDT
    SophosLabs has detected a server upgrade malware campaign.

The message says that there will be an upgrade on October 16 and it encourage users to run a procedure about SSI certificates.

It instructs the user to download a file, save it on his computer, and then run it.
    At the time of posting the article at Sophos, the file was called patch.exe. It is detected as Troj/Zbot-IV.
    The domain name where the file can downloaded is registered in Russia.

Source: Sophos

Im sure everyone knows by now not to open emails they do not recognize (Outlook) and do not accept downloads from strange emails.

corby is offline Trivia Master

Default Re: Tech Tip "Server Updgrade"

another email I've been getting a lot lately is about a supposedly DHL Delivery problem which says my package could not be delivered and it says to print out a copy of an attached invoice. The attach file is a zipped file and I know not to open it since it most likely is bad.

eliphas0 is offline Uncommon

Default Re: Tech Tip "Server Updgrade"

Yep, that is a great example of Deductive Reasoning, because DHL has gone out of business and even if it were UPS, FedEx etc. Did you order a package?

Even if you ordered something, they would not send an invoice as a .zip, .jpeg, .rar .doc .txt file etc. It would be embedded in the email itself or if it were from a seller (ebay) it would clearly list all the info and provide a hyperlink.

Also don't forget the part of "Why would they have your email?"

Thanks for the example of the Classic Virus Email, Corby .

Flame is offline Very Common

Default Re: getting strange emails supposedly from DHL

I've also been receiving weird emails supposedly from DHL but I know theyre not really from DHL but instead have a virus