+ Reply to Thread
    romzomblizzard is offline Very Common

Default commodore 1541 problems

I have a commodore 1541 disk drive and i am having a problem and i hope someone can help. It will not read any disks at all. I checked the disks and there are not problems with the surface of the disk playing surface. When I try to load a program, the red light flashes like crazy and blinks real fast and then there is something like a read error or something like that. Also, the green light will not come on at all. Can someone tell me what's wrong? Thank you.

willie is offline Uncommon

Default Re: commodore 1541 problems

could be that the drive is dead
    there's some advice here: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/fix1541.txt
    try that, otherwise you might have to just buy a new one on Ebay or something prolly isnt worth it to fix it

Zorch is offline Uncommon

Default Re: commodore 1541 problems

Do you get any error messages? Did you try to format a disk? If that doesn't work either there's probably a problem with your drive.

Command to format a disk is: OPEN15,8,15,"N:Name,ID"

But maybe your R/W head is a little bit dirty. That could cause read errors as well.