+ Reply to Thread

Default anyone has a history for commodore and atari

I want to get my History straight. Can anyone help me do that. I tried google and wikipedia but they didnt help. I hope someone here has the knowledge.

I have played many consoles through out my life and i am currently the owner of ps3. My question arises from Atari 2600 and Commodore.

I first bought the Atari 2600 , then i bought Commodore 64 and later i got Amiga . After that Sega Genesis.

Now i want to know the hierachy in which these systems fall with a bit of detail so i can know what i missed. I mean

the atari 2600 came first. now did the commodore 64 beat it or was superior and did i choose the right path my buying a commodore 64. If yes what happened after that ? The atari 5200 did it beat the commodore 64 If yes then did the commodore amiga beat the 5200 and atari beat it again by 7800.

I need these details . Who out did who ? and how. what was commoodore 64 competing with and what was comodore amiga 500 competeting with.

As for comodore i am talking about the Diskette version not the tape version and for the comodore amiga i am talking about the Floppy version.

I would appreciate if someone over here can clear this confusion

Arthas is offline Uncommon

Default Re: anyone has a history for commodore and atari

The Atari 2600 and C64 were both extremely popular. Remember when comparing that the 2600 was a video game console while the C64 was a computer so its hard to compare directly. C64 sold 17 million units according to wikipedia and the Atari 2600 sold 30 million so the Atari sold more units. But the Commodore was also more expensive, I believe. So again hard to compare its like apples to oranges.

The 5200 and 7800 were not nearly as popular as either the C64 or the Atari 2600

and ? i mean ok lets believe the atari 2600 came and commodore 64 after that . both competed and both were good. ok lets settle at that . now after that what did the 5200 do did it took over C 64 it should have since it was more powerful. i mean not sales wise but otherwise graphic power and what happneed next ?
    Last edited by Noor Mohd Shah; 11-17-2009 at 12:31 AM.

Xylem is offline Uncommon

I think the Commodore 64 did better then the Atari 5200 and the Atari 7800, people would still buy the C64 over those 2

hmm why will the people still buy the C64 over those 2 ??

secondly why did the atari 5200 has a low life cycle ?

when the atari 5200 and 7800 took over then when did Commodore strike again with the Amiga and did it beat the atari concoles ?