+ Reply to Thread
    Crosshair is offline Common

Flower awww I messed up, sold a Parker Brothers Boom or Bust Board Game for $5

Can't believe I sold a Boom or Bust board game by Parker Brothers for 5$ at a garage sale I ran last month. It was in excellent condition with all the pieces. I see in the Rarity Guide that I could've fetched over $200 for this. But I didn't know it could be worth so much. Could've used the extra cash

gamescollector is offline Uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshair View Post
    Can't believe I sold a Boom or Bust board game by Parker Brothers for 5$ at a garage sale I ran last month. It was in excellent condition with all the pieces. I see in the Rarity Guide that I could've fetched over $200 for this. But I didn't know it could be worth so much. Could've used the extra cash
    I don't mean to rub salt into your wound, but yes whenever you got a collectible, especailly a board game of that age (that game is from the 50s I think) and in good condition, you should research a little about the value, check out the rarity guides, ask around in these forums before selling it.

yellow9 is offline Uncommon

I think this brings about a good question. Let's say you (or anybody) runs across a game (or can be any other item) which the owner is selling for 5 bucks, but you know that it is actually worth $500 bucks. Would it be right to buy it for $5? Is there some code of ethics for this kind of situation? I mean wouldn't you feel a tad guilty?

Or perhaps the right thing to do is to point out to the owner the true value of the game (Even though then you are losing on a great deal)

Curious about what other think about it

Quote Originally Posted by yellow9 View Post
    I think this brings about a good question. Let's say you (or anybody) runs across a game (or can be any other item) which the owner is selling for 5 bucks, but you know that it is actually worth $500 bucks. Would it be right to buy it for $5? Is there some code of ethics for this kind of situation? I mean wouldn't you feel a tad guilty?

Or perhaps the right thing to do is to point out to the owner the true value of the game (Even though then you are losing on a great deal)

I know I would certainly have appreciated it if the guy who bought it from me would've instead made me aware how much it is worth

Maybe whoever bought it from you didnt know how much it was worth himself

Quote Originally Posted by gamescollector View Post
    Maybe whoever bought it from you didnt know how much it was worth himself
    Maybe... I guess I will never know

bonner is offline Uncommon

Those are some good points. By buying the game for $5, isnt that just like stealing $500? I mean what is the difference between this and between plain stealing?

Quote Originally Posted by bonner View Post
    Those are some good points. By buying the game for $5, isnt that just like stealing $500? I mean what is the difference between this and between plain stealing?
    I wouldn't go as far as to call this stealing. I think there is a big difference. First off, one man's junk is another man's treasure. This is especailly the case with collectbiles. Something might be worth a lot to one person, but nothing to the other. Are we going to police all the garage sales to make sure everyone is selling their stuff for some sort of "Book value"?

Second, as I said earlier, this is also the seller's responsibility. If the seller doesn't bother or doesn't care to do a bit of research, then maybe they deserve to lose on this (no offense meant to the OP, but at least you learned a lesson about collectibles and value)

octo is offline Uncommon

I wouldn't let someone know that they are selling it way below price, and I also don't expect people to tell me if I do the same mistake.

yellow9 is offline Uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshair View Post
    I know I would certainly have appreciated it if the guy who bought it from me would've instead made me aware how much it is worth
    So let's say that guy came to you and told you that the game is actually worth $200 bucks. Would you have offered some sort of reward? Like maybe sell it to him for a big discount?

jared is offline Staff

Hey, I think all of you are forgetting about the spirit of garage sales, flea markets, and the like. It's all about finding good deals. If I wanted to buy a book value, I would go to a store. But when I want to have fun and hunt for treasures, then I go to flea markets and garage sales.

Now, if everyone knew exactly how much each item is worth and would sell it for that price, there would be no more bargains, hence there goes the fun factor, and nobody would bother going to garage sales or flea markets anymore.

This is the essence of garage sales. So just chill and go enjoy your treasure hunting. And I hope you find deals like this.

octo is offline Uncommon

Happens all the time. See this thread where someone says he sold a Hasbro Challenge the Yankees Board Game (real rare game) for $10. Similar story to yours.

Price Check: Challenge the Yankees Board Game by Hasbro 1964

I guess just learn and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by jared View Post
    Hey, I think all of you are forgetting about the spirit of garage sales, flea markets, and the like. It's all about finding good deals. If I wanted to buy a book value, I would go to a store. But when I want to have fun and hunt for treasures, then I go to flea markets and garage sales.

Now, if everyone knew exactly how much each item is worth and would sell it for that price, there would be no more bargains, hence there goes the fun factor, and nobody would bother going to garage sales or flea markets anymore.

This is the essence of garage sales. So just chill and go enjoy your treasure hunting. And I hope you find deals like this.
    You make some good points, that is indeed what garage sales is all about

chronodev is offline Founder

Quote Originally Posted by jared View Post

That's the spirit
    chronodev
    Founder, RarityGuide.com
    "We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are." -Calvin & Hobbes

huguenot is offline Very Common

Default Re: awww I messed up, sold a Parker Brothers Boom or Bust Board Game for $5

We have an original copy of Boom or Bust but are missing the cover and some of the pieces (still in playable condition overall and not torn up, etc.)

Does this completely devalue or game?

Mana is offline Uncommon

Default Re: awww I messed up, sold a Parker Brothers Boom or Bust Board Game for $5

Not completely devalue, but does devalue by a lot

lummysdad is offline Very Common

Before you buy it for $5, ask if they'll take 4 for it. Seriously, if you say it's worth more and offer them $50 or $100 they'll realize it's worth a lot and start asking for $200 or more or even withdraw it from sale. I'd just pay them the $5 they're asking for, unless you see them all the time,